Birds sending Morse Code.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by KA0GKT, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning I was awakened by a chorus of desert birds sending Morse Code. The crow fired up its rotary gap and was sending "OM" over and over. The ring-neck dove kept sending "R R R" the Mourning Dove sent a mournful "No No No", and the humming bird had poor filtering on it's B+, all I heard was half-wave rectification as he tuned up and the Gila Woodpecker was sending landline morse against the metal cap on my fireplace chimney.

Lots of QRM, but not one "Chirpy" signal.

I couldn't help but think that there must be a CW contest this weekend...

W7EDC and W7JPL like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of this tune

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For years we've had the "a bird" - not sure what bird but endless "dit DAHHHHH dit DAHHHHH dit DAHHHHH"

He really needs to work on his speed AND his other letters

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

randal.jpg

NQ8J likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't get it... he just needs "U S and A"? Is that it? But what's the connection to "I told that VE" ... Canadian VE? "Volunteer Examiner"?

Not clear the "punch line" - sorry :(

VE's of both flavors are pretty cool folks in my experience :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KP4SX likes this.
  6. KC3PBI

I was referring to volunteer examiners.

That particular meme has seen many variations over the years, but the root of it is that this guy in American patriotic garb doesn't think he will ever need to express himself beyond repeating "USA."

Did I mention I was new around here? Sometimes it takes a while to dial in the humor.

7. W7UUU

Sure. Welcome. Happy to have you on QRZ!! :)

But the rest makes no sense - been a ham 46 years but that "meme" isn't familiar.

What makes it funny? Sorry - just trying to "get the joke" is all

VEs are the backbone of US licensing these days in the US. VEs (as in the prefix) in Canada are some of the nicest hams you'll ever meet.

Where is the punch line?

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KC3PBI

Sometimes that's just the way it is when reading a joke. Hopefully the next one I write will make more sense.

Cheers!

9. W7UUU

o_O

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a hoot owl every spring that says, Hoo, hoot hoot, all night. This is owl for CQ, and with propagation like it is, he never gets an answer.

W4IOA likes this.