BIRD SIGNAL CORPS CY-1764/UPM DUMMY LOAD INFORMATION NEEDED

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K5FRH, Nov 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have acquired this dummy load/ meter along with all of the elements/slugs and the companion carry case. I have hopes of using it as an external dummy load for HF radio testing/tuning. I will connect it to one of the switch positions on my tuner and leave it there.

However, I can find NO information on this outside of a parts list online. If you have familiarity with this unit can you please tell me any necessary set-up I would need to employ to use this as an HF dummy load. What is the maximum rating, etc.

I am wondering if this was also manufactured as as non-military unit and I could find documentation that way.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe post a picture of the actual unit, someone may be familiar with a commercial equivalent device.

3. K5FRH

BIRD 1A.jpg BIRD 3A.jpg BIRD 2A.jpg BIRD 4A.jpg

Attached Files:

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That meter uses an LC RF connector on the front. Unless you have the adapter, it can be expensive to find. The dummy load looks to be good for 500 watts continuous, but the meter part may or may not be useful.

If I had it, and I only wanted an HF dummy load, I would sell the unit on e-bay or somewhere (maybe here), and get a more suitable dummy load, depending on the maximum power you are looking at. That device will probably be worth more to someone who is looking for it, maybe $100-$200 or so. You can buy an oil filled legal limit load for around $80, and a dry load for less than that, even less if you don't need 1000+ watts.

5. K5FRH

Thanks. The good news is that I have that connector along with 4 thermocouples and all of the adapters. Evidently, you insert one of the thermocouples in the front opening before screwing the adapter on.