Bird coax switched

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF7ESM, May 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ESM:

The last time I looked, Fair Radio still had those very heavy duty ceramic switches available for a very good price. I still have a couple of the basic switches in my workroom.

If you can't find one for a reasonable price, let me know and I'll let you have one at what I paid for it plus postage. Let me know by E-Mail at

k9sth (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

I got the metal box at Fry's. As for the SO-239 jacks, I keep them in stock. However, I restock most of my parts from Mouser.

You do need to stretch the spring, in the switch, a little bit so that it is a bit easier to go between positions. Otherwise, the switch is pretty hard to turn.

Glen, K9STH

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Bird switches are best-of-class and I use one here also, a 6-position 74, for VHF-UHF work.

Almost a waste to use one on HF, unless your application requires phenomenal cross-talk rejection (port isolation), which with the Bird is damned near infinity. But for "antenna selection," nobody needs that.

3. KF7ESM

KF7ESM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF7ESM

KF7ESM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Glen for posting those nice pictures. They do still have the switches. I have everything else I need. I was only considering the bird because of build quality since it seems that a lot of what is out there is less than great. I also like to build what I can and this project seems simple enough.