Bird 43P Modification to replace the 9 volt batteries

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by K4AVU, May 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AVU

K4AVU Ham Member QRZ Page

This modification replaces the (2) 9 volt batteries. The problem with the batteries they have to be replaced at about 40 hours use, depending on the type of battery. Also the batteries are difficult to remove.
    This modification replaces the batteries with (2) 9 volt REGULATED wall warts. These can be found on Ebay and other sources. Also you will need (2) 2.1mm dc input female connectors. Remove the clips from the discarded batteries. These will be used for the dc input wires. Install wires on each clip. If you have any questions, email me at k4avu@yahoo.com. 73, Paul

Attached Files:

KD0CAC likes this.
  2. K4AVU

Thanks. Paul K4AVU

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as a point of information, the new Li-Ion 9v batteries in a 43P can last a very long time. They're actually around 10.5V or something, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've had two of them in mine for about two years now, used often, still fine.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Aftermarket Bird 43 PEP adapters aren't current hogs, and require only one battery. IIRC, I've seen several. :)

5. K4AVU

Yes, I know. this was not for the aftermarket pep kit.

6. K4AVU

Regarding the Li-Ion batteries. That is true. What happens more often is the power switch is not turned off, and it eventually drains the batteries.

7. WB2WIK

Yep, I agree.

When not using the meter, turn the power off!:)

8. WA7PRC

The datasheet (link) for the LMC6462 "quad micropower Op Amp" used in WC6W's PEP adapter (link) pulls only 50uA. IMO, the single 3V battery will last A LOT longer. :)

9. WB2WIK

I'll bet it will!

But a LOT of people have the old "Bird" PEP version, which uses ancient technology and draws much more current, just idling. I have one of those, but replaced the batteries with Li-Ion versions and thus far haven't worn them out after a couple of years. I just "shut it off" when not using it.

If I left it "on," even the Li-Ion batteries would probably only last a few weeks.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

I opted to NOT install a PEP adapter b'cuz AVERAGE power is what humans hear. There are no batteries to EVER wear out :p