Billy's Bauer Bigger Brother

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Sep 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just love alliteration...an old transmitters.

1965 Bauer FB-5000 at home 9 Sep. It was a working standby up to this month, I pulled it out on 7 Sep.

They conveniently removed all the tubes beforehand, but it was 4X EL34 into 2X 4-1000 on the modulator side, and 6AG7 osc to 6146 driver to a 4CX5000 final for the RF.

A pretty simple old girl, I babysat it from '83 to '85 when I worked for KZZP AM-FM then.

Apart it comes, lots of goodies to sell.

73DG Bauer 001.JPG Bauer 004.JPG Bauer 005.JPG Bauer 006.JPG Bauer 009.JPG

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a pretty compact looking 5 KW rig for a tube rig. Maybe the 4cx5K is part of the reason why. There's at least one guy out west somewhere with a 5 kw rig but I forget who. I've seen it in ER. When you get out the parts like the mod. iron, please put photos on here, thanks. Bauer made a 2500 watt rig that ran four 4x1s. Maybe not many were made. That would be a strapping rig to run for the deliberate QRM. Just noticed something that looks like an Electro E.W. transformer in bottom right corner of the first photo.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW I see the makings of a killer L Network there. :)

4. W7TFO

Here is the mod trans. Oil filled.

73DG

Attached Files:

WZ5Q and AF6LJ like this.
  5. AF6LJ

Please keep the Heavy Iron P0rn coming.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A guy had a 5 KW mod. transformer at Dayton a few years ago that looked like that except his had welded hoist rings on it. I have an old thordarson 1 amp 3225 2225 0 2225 3225 transformer that is up there around 170 to 200 lbs. It is one of the CHTs with finger slits in the end bells. Wish it had hoist rings. I can't move it alone. It could probably run a BC-1F.

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhhhhhh YEA BABY!!!! :cool:

8. AF6LJ

Almost sounds like an engine hoist would be a handy thing to have hanging around the shack.

9. W7TFO

Hydraulics are your friend....

73DG

KD2ACO and AF6LJ like this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

you bet. You can get a 1200 lb. hoist from Harbor Freight. Yes, it is probably not pro-grade, but they work. I wouldn't leave a 300 lb. weight hanging from one for hours on end but I'd use it to lift something just high enough to get on a dolly or swing over a foot and lower into a rack. And I wouldn't go anywhere near their rated load max. but the 1200 lb one is the smallest one --they have them much heavier duty.