Bill's- HomeBrewed Pan Cake - 40 Meter TAK-tenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA6KBC, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::Another half hour, another "no reply." I'm pretty convinced this is an antenna that works terribly and nobody wants to ever make a comparison on the air.

<Sigh>

So much for science.

WB2WIK/6

2. WB2WIK

::I came back just to check one more time, and I'm through. Nobody using a TAKtenna has ever yet taken me up on the offer to get some comparative signal reports on the air, on any band.

I'm officially declaring the design a hoax until proven otherwise.

Anybody who believes it actually works, name a time and frequency and let's give it a go.

WB2WIK/6

3. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful there OM!!

Nathan Chip Cohen (aka Fractenna) will show up with a fractal antenna and whip your butt til it bleeds.

4. WB2WIK

::Nah, I'm not afraid of an antenna that looks like a snowflake.;)

5. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually a vertical radiator can be a decent antenna compared to many of the antennas hams with antenna restrictions are using now days. As I pointed out earlier, the coax is the main radiator and the thing on top is used to fine tune that coax. So a good installation (like maybe an antenna on the roof at the right height with the right routing of the coax could produce a pretty good signal. Conversely, a poor installation is likely to produce very poor results.

Jerry, K4SAV

6. WB2WIK

::Seems to me that should be the case, also. However many using the "TAKtenna" say they put them on rotators and get a nice clean directional pattern from them.

I don't see how, and I'd like to see a demonstration of that.

WB2WIK/6

7. KA6KBC

KA6KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

40 Meter Tak-tenna ?

Hi Steven - WB2WIK/6

Sorry for my slow follow up to your comments. Sure I'd try some On Air Tests - Just would need to do some "Wood Working" to get the thing back up in the air and tuned up. Sad to say these days I'm at work or on the PC more than on the Air. For me I have no doubt that almost any dipole will out perform my version of the Tak-tenna or the store bought version of this antenna. I have no skin in this game - I just like to Build/Test stuff :)

Part of my findings in my first posting were:

"Bad news the performance is not Great - Signal pick up is several S units below my Dipole, but it does work.

From what I have read the Antenna has problems in that most of the performance is based on feedline radiation (See the links below).

http://lists.contesting.com/archives.../msg00339.html

http://groups.google.ie/group/rec.ra...7fb7a34305cf3e "

I also noted these comments, which point out that this is a Compromise Antenna - At Best:

"Check these comments as well:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/171329?page=1

Overall comments - Ok if you have no space, but a Dipole is better.

Still a fun Homebrew Project :)"

For me I assumed this must be a compromised design - based on what I've seen and my testing - However it does load up with an acceptable SWR on 40 Meters (Without a Transmatch), but just because it tunes up on band does not make it a effective antenna. Still think it is an interesting design and for some folks without any space for an antenna it might be an option (Better than no antenna at all ?). I would not buy one myself given I built mine for < $20 and the real one sells for around $100, but as you point out I also would like to see Antenna pattern Testing and on Air results. I'm hoping more people will Build or Buy - Then test. I myself was surpised to see the glowing reviews, but little technical review of how well it really performs or how it might work.

73's,

Bill - KA6KBC

8. WB2WIK

::Yeah, I think you've summed it up very well. To me it appears to be a very short end-loaded dipole, emphasis on end-loading. I don't see why the pancake spirals are any more or less effective at end loading than a lumped coil and capacitance hat combination, which is what MFJ is using for their multiband HF rotary dipoles. But the MFJ ones are longer and should work better.

It would definitely be fun to get on the air and run some comparisons, though. You're about 70 miles from me, so very local reports wouldn't tell much, but reports from across the country would. Let me know when you can get on, we'll do it!

Steve WB2WIK/6

9. TA5CT

TA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

hi. maybe you can try this.......

10. KA6KBC

KA6KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.