ad: CQMM-1

Bill Jackson, K9RZ of Omaha , NE

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KQ0J, Sep 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear today that Bill lost his battle with cancer. Bill was an avid DXer and an all around great guy as everyone that knew him would attest. He had been president of the Heartland DX Association for many years. Details of the funeral next week not published yet.

SK

2. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned sad news yesterday at work. Bill worked in the Telecom engineering department of Union Pacific Railroad and I'd worked with him on several microwave projects. I think he worked the most stations when a number of us current and retired employees celebrated UPRR's 150th anniversary with a special event operation almost three years ago. Bill came to UPRR from the CNW (Chicago Northwestern) when UP bought it about 20 years ago.

Bill was a good egg and will be greatly missed.

3. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of his passing.
    He was active with the Wheaton (IL) Amateur Radio Club for a number of years,
    before moving west.

4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

William H. Jackson, K9RZ SK Sept. 17, 2015

[​IMG]

Jackson, William "Bill" K9RZ Jul 9, 1956 - Sep 17, 2015 Age 59.
    Bill worked for the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company and the Union Pacific Railroad for 34 years.
    He was also president of the Heartland DX Association.
    Bill grew up in Wheaton, IL and in 1983 moved to Chadron, NE to set up the communications system for the C & NW line going into the coal mines in the Powder River Basin. There he met Karen and they were married July 26, 1986.
    After the Chadron Railroad office was shut down in 1991, we moved back to the suburbs of Chicago. In 1995, we came to Omaha with the Union Pacific Railroad.

Bill is survived by his wife, Karen Jackson; brother, Peter (Mary) Jackson, Spokane, WA; nephews, Colin Jackson, Spokane, WA, Evan (Paige) Jackson, Eugene, OR; aunt, Mary Carlson, Marietta, GA; mother-in-law, Joan Johns, Gering, NE; numerous cousins. He was preceded in death by his parents, Ginny and Bill Sr.; brother, Thomas.

VISITATION will begin at 6PM followed by a 7pm MEMORIAL SERVICE, Wednesday, September 23, 2015, John A. Gentleman Mortuaries 72nd Street Chapel.

GRAVESIDE SERVICES will be at Creighton Valley Cemetery, Gering, NE at a later date. In lieu of flowers, Memorials are suggested to The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, American Radio Relay League Scholarship Fund and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

JOHN A. GENTLEMAN MORTUARIES AND CREMATORY 72nd STREET CHAPEL 1010 North 72nd St. 402-391-1664 www.johnagentleman.com

http://www.omaha.com/obits/jackson-...cle_ef3d53c0-8625-570d-9b4b-72c651f63820.html

5. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Lee.

6. W9TR

W9TR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was good friends with Bill through high school and college. We had some great times operating field day and SS, and generally messing around. I was going to stop by for a visit on our way back East and found his call had been re-assigned. Then the obit. Ouch.

Here’s to a great guy, hope he’s in a better place.

7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K9RZ HI BILL RRESPECT FULLY VY73 djoaj ekrem

8. WD9DCW

WD9DCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a member of the Wheaton Community Radio Amateurs for a few years in the late 1980's but, long before I was a member, and even before I got my ticket (4/'77), I remember listening to the 2 meter Repeater. In 1976 - '77 it was at 146.61, and Remember his call WB9FVD and unique voice. The club had regular Fox Hunts on 10m AM 28.650 , and I remember him being the fox at least once, making short broadcasts while hiding somewhere in DuPage County Illinois.
    I listened to the 10 m foxhunts on a Realistic DX-160, and later on a Yaesu FTDX-400

I learned of his moving to the Omaha area many years later via QRZ.com, and saw his 1x2 callsign in QST Silent Keys , but never the cause of death until now. Was too young to leave us.