Biggest on air mistake...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2OTG, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that should be the goal.

However, the OP with sharp ears will always be able to tell if someone is using a bug even if their CW very closely mimics that of a keyer (which, again, should be the goal). Everyone makes mistakes, and your mistakes with a bug will often (usually?) sound different than your mistakes with a keyer or keyboard, just like they would with a straight key.

As far as day-to-day operating goes, the experienced CW OP will usually be able to make an accurate guess as to whether the other OP is using a straight key, bug, keyer, or keyboard. They all sound different when one makes errors.

BTW, just this morning I was trying to work a JA on 40m. He was having trouble hearing me so I slowed down to about 10 WPM and I struggle hard nowadays at that speed. I couldn't send my own call correctly to save my life. So he never got it right.

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you sending with anytype key or paddle, have someone who has a reader see if the reader can copy it. If the reader can not copy the code it needs work. Not to say it could not be copied by a human, just that it needs work. I run across OP's regularly who I struggle to copy at any speed. Poor spacing, poor character rhythm. Makes for a less than pleasurable QSO for me. Try this, see how you like your work. Record your CW, listen to you sending back, put the phone on record next time your in a QSO. How was it? Better/way worse or something in between. 73 Rich

3. W9RAC

Yes, that will make you a better OP for sure. I had a savvy OP ask me one time if I had ever recorded my code. He said he had and it helped him immensely, he never mentioned it again. Out of boredom months later I recorded my CW. Like you I was disappointed. I was using a straight key at the time and decided I did not have the skill to be using it. Thanks for the tip! 73 Rich

4. W9RAC

I'm not so sure about them bug folks you speak of with a twang. Some of those get pretty hard to follow. 25 wpm dits, 15 wpm dahs......... sometimes Im tempted to get out my Vibroplex and give it back to them. hi hi, 73 Rich

5. KD1W

KD1W Ham Member QRZ Page

If the cootie folks are sending all dits they need to spend a little time practicing. I love the cootie and feel like it is going ok so far. I do some practice with programs that read code so I can see how well it is going. I'm not the best at it by any means but feel that this is the key for me. I have been practicing some with a bug to see if I can do that as well. The SK is pretty easy, especially for spacing, etc.

6. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uhhhhhh...... biggest technical error on my part would be trying to have a QSO with a ten meter station ending with the suffix/B..... he had a terrific signal though. The band was open and there was no one around other than him

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ROBERT,
    IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO THIS.

MORSE INVENTOR.jpg

ROBERT, ENJOY HAM RADIO AND DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN DO TO HELP OTHERS WITH THEIR BRASS POUNDING.

HAVE A FUN FILLED LABOR DAY HOLIDAY

73 - K1LKP

8. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

You too! Thanks very much. Training each other is big part of ham radio! Your loop is FB as is your QRZ page.

VY 73 DE N2OTG

K1LKP likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made a couple of BIG boo-boo's during the time that I was a CW operator for Coast Station WLO Marine Radio (1988-1995).

During the early 90's, when the bands were in really good shape, I'd sometimes operate my ham station (WA5BIB back then) until it was time to go to work @ WLO.
    I only lived about 2 miles from the job, so I could "ham" until about 15 minutes before I had to leave for work. There were several nights, over-the-years, that during my first 30 minutes or so on-the-air @ WLO,... I'd usually catch myself answering a vessel with "de WA5BIB" !! :eek: (which resulted in SILENCE from the ship) - WTF ?

I worked the grave-yard shift @ WLO, 10pm-6am CST (0400z-1200z) & was the only CW operator on duty during those hours, (keying Fifteen (15) 5 KW Harris transmitters from 4-29 MHZ) so, I had to "catch" myself !! (embarrassing) :oops:

It only happened a couple of times when I was starting my shift @ WLO & I would catch myself before sending my complete ham call.

The BIGGEST boo-boo's happened when I got home @ 6:30 A.M. !! & if I got on-the-air on the ham bands !! After sending the call-sign "WLO" HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS-of-times over a 8 hour shift,... (and being tired) - I'd often find myself calling "CQ CQ CQ de WLO WLO WLO K" (on 40/20 meters !!!) :eek::eek: e-gads !! - (then it would DAWN on me (after a few calls) what I'd been sending !!) :rolleyes: - I'd pull-the-plug & Go to Bed !!

I solved the problem by NOT operating as; WA5BIB, for several hours before/after working @ WLO. ;)

BTW: The FCC monitoring station @ Powder Springs, Ga., once sent an "inquiry" to the management @ WLO, about "Spurious Emissions" in the 7 mhz amateur radio band !! :eek: :p

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it... ;):p

dit dit

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    KA2CZU and N2OTG like this.