ad: ARR

Biggest on air mistake...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2OTG, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lane, no, offhand I don't, but I've heard so many 'mistakes' over the years...

I kinda like Tom's "pressing the ON switch though! :)

2. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously???

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was intended to be confession time for a mistake made on air. Looks more like another petty gripe session to me.

If you want an 'on air' mistake, here's one. Shortly after relicensing and not really aware of all the operations of my new FTdx3000, I was listening to a quite popular SSB traffic net on 40 meters. Then decided since I had a new key that I would practice some while the net was going in the background. Even though the Vox was off, the power at 5 watts, on SSB, without a mike even hooked up, I was keying the transmitter as I gleefully sent dits and dahs and never had a clue that the darn thing was actually transmitting.
    Later heard people talking about the cw interference. Took me a while to figure out it was yours truly. Still haven't figured out why it was getting out, but it was. South Texas was picking up my cw practice quite well it turned out. I'll never live that down. Did my apologies later and moved on.
    Still haven't figured why no one sent me a 'slip' on that one. Honest, clueless mistake, but a real dandy.

Now that's an on air mistake. All this other stuff is just poor A1.

N8AFT likes this.
  3. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I don't mind the bug folks whith a twang. It's the ops with a cootie that sends all dits and have no rythm is what really throws me off.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest on-air mistake didn't involve CW. Many years ago, I was tuned to a traffic net on 75m SSB. I was wearing my boom mic headset, and I had the transceiver's VOX switched on. I was soldering something as I listened to the net. I finished a connection and went to stick the soldering iron back into the holder, and I missed. When the soldering iron fell toward the floor, I instinctively grabbed for it. And I missed the handle. And I grabbed the hot end! A stream of very bad language came shooting out of my mouth. Which activated the VOX. Which allowed the language to go out over the air. For the whole net to hear! Fortunately, no one recognized my voice. I stopped using VOX at that point, and I have never, ever used it again. (not that I work much SSB anyway)

KE8KOH, KF5KWO and AG5CK like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

KF5KWO and KA2CZU like this.
  6. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about the imprecise diction. "Biggest" not in the sense of most severe but rather in the sense of being the biggest cumulative source of poor intelligibility. In this sense, I would still vote for poor spacing as it so common, whether on straight key, bug, or keyer. As someone pointed out, ops generally don't seem to realize that they are doing it. How would they? I can remember my old elmer (SK) yelling at me for making my dits too short. Maybe not everyone is fortunate enough to have someone like that.

N8AFT likes this.
  7. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Biggest on air mistake?? Accidentally call the DX on their frequency instead of the split.

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I was just gettin my feet wet doing code on HF OM Dan NI9Y sent an audio clip of our QSO via email.
    How shocking to not be able to decipher my own fist!
    Made me take stock of my condition and make the appropriate changes...
    Thanks again Dan!

W9RAC likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a problem. There's always someone to remind you :eek: UP LID UP UP UP.

WB5YUZ and W1BR like this.
  10. KC1DQH

KC1DQH Ham Member QRZ Page

I once answered a cq, and promptly demonstrated my inability to accurately transmit my skcc number. In case that op is still wondering, its 15419.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    WB5YUZ likes this.