Biggest on air mistake...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N2OTG, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

My vote for the biggest technical mistake on the air these days is not leaving enough space between words. I’m probably as guilty of this as anybody else but it makes it tough, especially when reading code in your head, to make sense of things when the words run together. Im eant ryto figu rea sentence liketh isout. We need to put the extra beat in between words like we do when we speak. What do you think?

K0UO likes this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly agree that both character and word spacing in CW is very important but I wouldn't list it as the biggest on the air mistake. I'd probably put things like leaving VOX active so you hear an argument between a ham and his spouse or continual dog barking or tuning up an amp right on top of an ongoing QSO, repeatedly calling a DX station on his operating frequency when he's working split or even forgetting the rig is set to VFOB and transmitting SSB in the CW subband as bigger mistakes.

But sure, from a CW perspective good sending rhythm including good character and word spacing is pretty important.

K0UO and N8AFT like this.
  3. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From a wanna be CW op that is learning . . . I agree with the spacing thing. I try to listen to live QSO's to learn. Some run everything together and it's impossible to figure any of it out. Spin the dial to the next one.

N8AFT likes this.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Pressing the "ON" switch?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WR2E, WA7PRC and N8AFT like this.
  5. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the OP. A good fist on the other end of the QSO makes a significant difference in my copy speed. I strive for good letter/word spacing.

6. N7BDY

N7BDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually , listening to a ham fighting with a spouse over the air could be quite entertaining and break the monotony of listening to a lot of the ho hum exchanges we normally hear . I agree about constantly barking dogs or noisy kids though , not good , and bad or sloppy fists lessens the joy of CW ... I have enough problems copying good CW . I dont want to stir up trouble , but a bad bug operator is the worst kind of torture trying to copy . Most guys who have been at it for a long time are good , but some are almost impossible to copy .

7. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's takes a lot of practice but is worth it. When I hear someone running everything together I move on. I would rather be good than fast. Of course I would like to be good and fast! :)

N2AMM, N8AFT, KD7ICW and 1 other person like this.
  8. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spacing is certainly a problem. I’m not sure that I would classify that as a mistake, rather poor operating technique. I’ve listened to many ops who do not seem to think that they are doing anything wrong.

One of the most humorous mistakes I heard was in a contest when I was running where someone sent his “call” three times, each different from the last. All sent perfectly then he repeated the last one twice so I took that as the winner.

KE8KOH likes this.
  9. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new OP and I will be watching this thread closely.

Thanks to all for your patience with us newbies and for letting us know how we can improve.

KB2SMS, K5TSK, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

:p