Biggest CB Antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VK5DJM, Oct 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK5DJM

VK5DJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Folks
    I just had to share this story with you as it's not very often that you see a structure like this. It's a guy who's just finished installing a 16 element yagi on 27Mhz. It has a 117 foot boom. What a monster. I uploaded some pics for you to look at: https://www.computer7.com/the-biggest-cb-antenna-on-the-planet/

As far as I know this is the biggest CB antenna on the planet. I would love to hear if anyone has heard of any that are bigger than this. How does this thing even stay up in the air.

VA3QY, N0YPD and AK5B like this.
  2. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Crikey! He even seems to have even guyed the boom twice... There has to be a good story behind this. Does the guy have a ham license?

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that there is a "size limit" for CB antennas? Another example of our toothless FCC?

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But does it have the safety sticker?

[​IMG]

AK5B likes this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

The station in question is in the US. The website and author are in Australia.

As for FCC rules:
    {C} If your antenna is installed at a fixed location (whether receiving, transmitting or both) it must comply with EITHER one of the following:
    [1] The highest point must not be more than 20 feet (6.10 meters) higher than the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted;
    or
    [2] The highest point must not be more than 60 feet (18.3 meters) above the ground.

The boom is 117' long, which isn't regulated. The pic doesn't show the entire tower. It *could* be within limit, but it's probably not given what we can see.

Chris

WD4IGX and K0UO like this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

AFIK, John Bartal (Motormouth Maul) is in the USA.

7. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC it was a limit to distance of 150 miles max communication distance. Maybe it changed.

Lemme guess: the antenna is rated for multiple kW's but the user only runs 4W, right? or 12W on SSB.

8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Things the FCC cares about more than big CB beams : "absolutely everything else"

N3FAA, AI3V and K8AI like this.
  10. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He'll be a lot of help in setting up a convoy in the next state.

M0AGP, VA3RR and AK5B like this.