Big Vikings, are the ebay prices nuts?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W8AAZ, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OR lifting weights!!!

Beautiful station Ripley... nicely done :)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

True.

I listen to the National from time to time because it sounds so darn nice with the big 10" speaker. I need to fire up the ranger again. It's quite an undertaking to tune everything up because the Ranger and NC-183D drift a good bit until they warm up and settle in. At least they drift in the same direction. :)

3. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mike, the panels are original, but I cleaned them, and did some touch-up on the gray. The case for the Valiant was powder coated. I cut up Q-tips and rounded over the ends for the new "white" dots on the knobs. I have done this for other Johnson transmitters and it works well. My antenna at the cabin in the mountains where I have my station is better suited for 20 and 40 and I have never been on the air with an AM station--but do have more than a few radios that should be brought out and set up to try an AM station. Most of my QSO's are done when I camp. I have a FT 897D which I use with a solar panel and battery. My antenna is a coil loaded 11' whip. I mount this on an aluminum tent pole with 8-12' wires going from the top of the pole to tent stakes driven into the ground. The key is having a RigExpert AA-54 to exactly tune the coil slider for the frequency range I will be using. It is amazing how well radios work when a person is in the middle of the desert and there is no electrical interference around.

Norm

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What eBay essentially does is to create an online hamfest that is 24/7/365, has no admission fee (for looking), and which you can search from anywhere you can get online. An enormous marketplace based on the concepts of free-market capitalism. American enterprise and ingenuity at its best.

Yes, it has an upward effect on prices. That's the whole supply-and-demand thing at work. How else could it be?

I remember the days when I could get stuff really cheap at hamfests - because nobody else wanted it! And for every old tube or transformer I bought, I suspect a dozen or a hundred were dumpstered because the person couldn't sell them.

Sure - but that's true of any old radio, even one that was factory-made. You never know whose paws got into it in the half-century plus since it was manufactured, or what "improvements" they made. Plus more than a few old radios weren't very good even when they were new and in perfect working order!

---

There's also the fact that over the decades we've seen what used to be "old radios" become antiques. Practically all EFJ transmitters are over 50 years old today; many if not most are over 60 years old. When they were 20-30 years old, they were "old radios nobody wanted".......then they became "classics" and "vintage" and the prices went up!

IMHO there is more to this than just nostalgia. I think there's a growing number of hams who want a radio experience that is, well, different. A little off the beaten path, or more than a little. The look, the sound, the "feel", the fact that you need to know what you're doing all feed into it. And the fact that they can work on the stuff themselves, and understand every aspect of how it works (or at least understand SOME of how it works).

You're welcome!

Here's a useful tool:

https://westegg.com/inflation/

which adds some reality to the mix.

Take the Johnson Viking Ranger....it was $179.50 when introduced in 1954. That's $1663.68 in 2017 dollars!

73 de Jim, N2EY

WQ4G, KD2ACO and N6UH like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticed the prices on these rigs going up lately. Maybe will put my Navigator on the market. There is a seller on eBay who also sells some of the Johnson transmitters restored, nice looking rigs. As indicated it's a supply and demand thing, there are no more being manufactured. Let's assume you could assemble new components for a Johnson Ranger built or kit form at today's prices what do you suppose that would cost? There is a guy selling a replica of the Ameco AC-1 the entire kit is around $200.00 compared to the $14.00-$16.00 when they were first introduced forget the year guess the mid-50s to early 60s. Always say if a seller wants to sell you a resistor for $500.00 and you are willing to pay for it that's between the two of you and no one else's business.

6. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

There are still reasonable deals out there if you're in the right place at the right time. Last night on eBay I saw a listing for three Viking transmitters, two VFOs, and one Matchbox for $300 for the lot, pick-up only, of course. That's not a bad deal if you're local to that seller. Gotta be in the right place. (I don't recall where it was)

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I seen them at local hamfests selling for $200-$300. Some needed work or have had some work done. Usually pretty dusty inside from sitting in storage, but otherwise in quite restorable condition.

I remember seeing one a few years ago that was super nice too.

Had a brand new paint job and everything. Not even so much as a person's fingerprint was seen on the face panel.

I remember thinking that it looked like some kind of reproduction panel. It was absolute perfection inside and out.

Of course, that particular Ranger wasn't cheap as the others but if money was no object that day, it would be here sitting in the shack. :)

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch places like Craig's List. I was alerted to an ad, that had been running for a couple of weeks, for 2-each Heath TX-1 Apache transmitters and 1-each HX-10 Marauder transmitter for $25.00 each! The seller had sold his house and was living in an apartment for a while. He had been transferred to Tucson, Arizona, but his new house would not be ready for a couple of months so he had not, as yet, moved. He did not want the trouble of packing the transmitters since he had purchased them with the intention of restoring them but had not gotten around to doing such. Then, he got transferred!

No one else had even called about the transmitters! I told him that I would take 1 of the Apache transmitters and the Marauder. We got those transmitters in my automobile when the seller suddenly asked me to just take the 2nd Apache transmitter since no one else had exhibited any interest. So, I got all 3 transmitters for $50.00 total!

Glen, K9STH

W1TRY likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you have to add air to your tires?:p

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, but someone pulled out right in front of me and I had to do a PANIC stop. One of the transmitters slid off the back seat and hit the back of my driver's seat! Nothing damaged although my comments, directed towards the other driver, were not fit for mixed company!

Glen, K9STH

KS4W likes this.