Big Vikings, are the ebay prices nuts?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W8AAZ, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been perusing the ebay prices off and on for awhile on the old Viking series transmitters. The prices I see for even rough looking "as-is" specimens seems off-the-charts, to me. 7-8-900$ asking for Rangers, etc. Now I would think the demand would not be that great and there is a limited number of people who are wanting an AM anchor and not hardly all of those are capable of restoring or maintaining such a transmitter. So is everyone buying hamfest and locally for better values? When you add the ebay shipping estimate to the price, it seems like a real no way deal on those.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K9ASE likes this.
  3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see what you mean. Alot sell for reasonable, but the ones I am seeing have high asking prices, to start with. And many were kits, so you don't know what kind of mess you might get into. Thanks for info, though.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I got $500 for mine when I sold it about ten years ago. Not ebay, person to person.

5. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

They do seem to go for some pretty good prices, but you have to just keep watch on those offered and pounce when you see a relatively good deal. I have 3 Johnson transmitters and a Thunderbolt amplifier, and paid what I thought to be pretty good prices for them, even though I waited for what I thought was a good deal to come along.

The price point of all the old radios in decent condition seems to be on an upward trend again, but deals are still out there.

6. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

1.jpg

I didn't pay that much for mine, but had to do the regular restoration routine. I have never had it on the air, but it works well into a dummy load.

My Valiant also was reasonably priced but inside was a total wreck. It looked like it had been through a fire. It did work well after I sorted out the problems both electrical and mechanical.

Valiant.jpg

Norm

K3XR and W7UUU like this.
  7. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Norm, those are very nice looking radios, and nice to hear you have them working well. I'm curious, why haven't you put them on the air? Are the front panels original?

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You think the selling prices are nuts... wait until you see the shipping cost from one coast to another :eek:

And with the deterioration of packing skills and carriers who seemingly don't give a crap about anything but package volume over careful shipping.... and pretty soon you'll find the selling price is the least of your worries

Dave
    W7UUU

WQ4G and K9ASE like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Beautiful job, Norm!! that Valiant is just stunning.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my Ranger on eBay three years ago for $159.00, if memory serves me. The owner was selling off his fathers estate and didn't want to ship it. A friend of mine picked it up for me and I got it from him a few weeks later.

This is what it looked like before the restoration started.

PICT0410.JPG

And the after picture when the restoration was complete.

PICT0426.JPG

I paired the ranger with a NC-183D receiver and a Collins 30L-1 linear for my vintage AM station.

My AM station.JPG

If you like twisting knobs you would love this station.

Ripley

K6CZH, WQ4G, NE1U and 5 others like this.