ad: Alphaant-1

"Big Stew" vs. Other 160m Contests

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Dec 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm relatively new to serious 160m contesting. I have done HF contests for years, but reasonable 160m antennas turned out to be a challenge until recently.

This year was my first real attempt at working the December Stew Perry contest. I also worked the ARRL 160m event earlier in the month. To me, they seemed to have very similar participation rates, and my resulting contact maps looked almost identical.

For those of you who have done these contests for a while, do you find that the "big stew" contest is usually about the same size of an event as some of the other major winter 160m events? E.g., the ARRL 160m Contest, and the CQ 160m CW Contest in January?

Also, for those who participated, what did you think of yesterday's SP event? Conditions didn't seem as good as for the ARRL event earlier in the month, but they were still respectable. The QSB seems to be less severe than it does for 80m or 40m contesting, but that could just be my perception.

2. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked CA, MT, ID, AZ & OR last night, which pleased me, since I don't have CA or ID yet confirmed on LOTW.
    My setup is very modest, and I only operate on 500 watts.

3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked a few new DX on 160 right before and during the ARRL contest earlier this month. Not the case with "The Stew". Very little DX heard here, and what was there was really up and down. Lots of QSB..even on domestic signals. I'd say conditions here sucked for the Stew. :(