Big Loops. What is the point of diminishing returns?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K0MBT, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Some useful reading.

Cebik(sk) says: "By the time a loop is at least 2 wl long at its fundamental frequency of operation, it looses its ability to warm the clouds and becomes an antenna with some potential for longer distance communications. so the general rule for HOHPLs is this: make them as long as you can support in your yard."

2. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be about 3000’.

3. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you say Rhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooombic?

4. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Eventually it will be big enough to touch the next station then you will have your first contact

NL7XM, KA0HCP and NH7RO like this.
  5. WA7F

I’ve thought about that before when working WAS. The closest states were the hardest on some bands.

6. WA7F

I intend the to litter the place with an 80m four square. And one of these, except for 160m.

52904B85-DC94-4ACD-BEB8-44ECBCFB8CE6.jpeg

7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

The best antenna is one that's up in the air and being used. But if you want to see some really Big monster Loops, look at my page on QRZ, K0UO. I have rhombics, optimized for 40 meters. Each one has about a half a mile OF 3/8 cable up 100 foot in the air. Now that's big!!!! And they work, 12 to 18db of gain. K0UO

K6LPM likes this.
  8. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

3000' would not be that hard here. My property goes back a quarter mile.

I did work Alaska last evening on 40 Got a 57 on 10 watts. Listened to a pileup in south Africa for about an hour His transmission never faded. I tried a few times but never broke through the pileup.

I feel that I am not close to the point of diminishing returns with a big loop.

9. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing your qrz page

K6LPM likes this.
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page