ad: Schulman-1

Bicycle Mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF9BD, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite bicycle mobile....but some years back QST featured the "R.U.M.P." Radio Under Motorcycle Posterior. Some guy had built a 1KW station into a GoldWing. Pretty impressive. :)

KE8FWJ likes this.
  2. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

We have vacation/retirement property in NE lower Michigan, EN85fh, and I did my very first century ride (100 miles) there last Tuesday. ( https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/did-it.654923/#post-7527265 )

Thought about taking my HT but didn't because I can't talk and ride (breathing cadence) and I can see where using it on breaks could result in WAAAY too long of breaks.

But then, here's an interesting concept;
    DISCIPLINE!!! Which was definitely lacking on this trip. So what difference would an HT make? Yea, think I'll take it next time.

OK, rules question here. Not that I would do this, but would it be OK to use a 440 link to control an HF rig at different location? And can you even do that with an HT?

Thanks,
    Bob - KD8WU

KE8FWJ and AI3V like this.
  3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about that.

I do know you can get Echolink with a phone, if there is cell service.

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

KE8FWJ likes this.
  5. KG5RA

KG5RA Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride a Rad Rover electric bike. I use a EFHW 40-10 M or a linked dipole. The radio is either a 857D or a 817ND with amp. I only use 50W and talk phone.

KE8FWJ and KN4SKF like this.
  6. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

7. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran a 2m radio on my Kansas - Utah ride. I am in the process of setting up a velomobile for touring. I ran a regular mobile radio on the one in the picture. I expect to switch to a regular handheld this time. one problem is that the velomobile is all plastic, so there is nothing to use as a ground plane.
    Just as a comment, I made very few contacts. I expected to hear from someone passing me by, but I made no contacts that way.
    [​IMG]

This is the direction I will go next time. I plan to put the panels on a trailer that will be larger than the one in the picture above.
    [​IMG]

KE8FWJ likes this.
  8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I did bicycle mobile probably in the mid-90s on a Boy Scout camping trip. We left SE Vancouver and headed to Camp Curry on Lacamas Lake in Camas, WA. Wasn't more than an 90 minute ride if I recall. Rig was a battery-powered HTX-202 running the Larsen mag-mount on a bike rear carrier that happened to be metallic. Think I hit a few repeaters and talked to at least my dad. Think I called CQ and heard about no one.

I've run FT8 /mobile (as a passenger!) on longer road trips in the car. At the time people didn't seem to believe I was running FT8 /mobile, but I did take a few pictures of it. With my FT-817 I could easily do this on my bike too, though I'd probably run 6m or above on a horizontal omni loop (like the PAR omnis) and make the guys chase me on their beams. With a HO loop there's no ground plane to work out--it works rather well.

Your setup is probably small enough for a 20m squalo. Even a 6 or 10m moxon. They'd be horizontal omnis and could go on PVC pipes.

I'm in SE Vancouver WA CN85, but would love to try to work you on your next trip. Though on FM simplex, that would have to be probably close to here.

9. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

AF7JA, mildly green with envy. Dat am a very delicious setup.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Your aluminum frame work of thse two solar panels can be bonded together and made to be the counterpoise / gnd plane.
    But then WHO is on 2m anymore??