Beware UPS SurePost

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5LB, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5LB

N5LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a "service" where UPS drops your package off at USPS for final delivery. This eliminates the UPS cost of delivery to your door and in theory reduces your shipping cost and that of the seller. I am not convinced that shipping cost to us is always reduced.

Here's the issue. My local post office's record of delivery of my mail and packages is mediocre and seems to be falling. Important mail is now sent FedX since USPS has lost several critical pieces this year. Packages using the SurePost "service" have disappeared and USPS local office says that:

1. They never received it from UPS
    2. The UPS tracking number generated when dropped off at USPS is not recognized.
    3. They have no idea, wait a few days to a week and then file a claim-impossible to do without details from the shipper side. I have never been able to get enough information together to fill out the form.

UPS will say that they turned it over to USPS and they have the assigned tracking number, therefore it is out of their hands.

Now, UPS is offering for $3.50 an upgrade from SurePost to UPS Ground, this by way of a tracking report I received from UPS. The tracking report says that they cannot provide an estimated delivery "since final delivery is being provided by the U.S. Postal Service." UPS must recognize the poor service from USPS, and besides they can make a few more bucks on USPS mediocrity.

I just paid UPS $3.50 to have my new CPU, for my shack computer, from TigerDirect changed to UPS Ground and feel more assured that it will either show up or be traceable. BTW: Tiger provided free shipping on the order, albeit SurePost without my knowledge.

I have spoken to others this year, a MT parts supplier for instance, about the low grade USPS service. It does not seem seasonal, no excuses for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Arbor Day....

Just a cautionary tale. It ain't like the ol'days.

PED4ENKO likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just in time for Christmas. How considerate of them :)

PED4ENKO likes this.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It sounds like FedEx Smartpost which is about the slowest shipping method I've ever seen.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

At least Smartpost does work. Sat and Sun delivery here too.

KD8JMQ likes this.
  5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

N5LB said:
    Now, UPS is offering for $3.50 an upgrade from SurePost to UPS Ground

That's the same way the cheese people took away our normal American cheese sandwich slices
    and started selling amercan processed cheese food stuff slices, you know the shinny, bounce off the wall stuff
    that is not cheese at all, then demanded we pay a Premium price for what we always knew as American Cheese Slices, which in itself was never a Deli Style Cheese, as packaged and sold now, in the first place.
    I didn't miss that Kraft!
    I also monitor the amount of juice stuff to the amount of beans when I open a can of VanCamps pork and beans. I'm watching you guys too.

6. KV4RH

KV4RH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a component from NewEgg take the FedEx Smartpost Continental Tour. It visited/traveled through more states in 2 weeks than most long haul truckers see in a lifetime.

I go Amazon Prime for nearly everything--their unlimited cloud photo storage plan makes the membership worth it to me alone, so the 2 day shipping is gravy. UPS, FedEx, or USPS Priority direct to my location every time--no crap shipping games. If Amazon doesn't sell it, I pay for the "good" shipping from NewEgg.

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It sounds like a local issue. I never have trouble with USPS. I have lots of grief with UPS.

8. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have great service from the USPS here and it's our best option. I sent and receive Priority Mail packages daily, they routinely make it to southern destinations in three days. I'm still amazed at the people on the site that will only ship in the "CONUS". A flat rate box costs the same to any state in the union and we happen to be on the same continent as the lower states. A package that costs $10 with the Post Office is a hundred with UPS.

One service that holds the crown for poor reliability here is called Parcel Pool. They are commonly used by Amazon. The company consolidates packages together, ships them with their own resources and puts them back in the mail at the delivery end. No way to track the package accurately and no clue as to delivery date.

9. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

It really depends on the performance of your local post office. This is a low priority service for the post office. I avoid Smartpost and Surepost because they are very slow and have a hole in the tracking.

10. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a smart post/sure post package listed right now as "delayed" in shipment but I received it 2 weeks ago. It started out alright with the UPS tracking then one morning the tracking said delayed with no explanation. I'm guessing the transition at the post office is where the tracking was messed up. so I'm not sure that the bugs have been worked out completely with the smart post joint venture.