Beware Samsung SSD drives...!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Aug 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure your drivers, or OS, implement wear leveling, and your SSD will last a very long time.

2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

But isn't this "wear levelling" automatically taken care of by the drive itself?
    Frank

3. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

As I understand it, yes to some extent. But is it nice have have an OS new enough to automatically disable features that would reduce your drive wear, like defrag.

Modern OS variants are also much better at resisting zero day exploits. Your choice of web browser plays a huge role in how vulnerable you are. You could run as old of a version of MS Windows or Linux you wanted, so long as you never connect it to the Internet. That way you don't jeopardize your machines / network, or end up being used as part of a botnet.

https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2016/10/25/wear-leveling/

https://www.infoworld.com/article/2984602/why-windows-10-is-the-most-secure-windows-ever.html

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a quote from Tom's Hardware in 2018 regarding Samsung EVO 360 SSD drives, "The 860 EVO Review: Samsung Back on Top".

"The 860 Pro came to us with a note about improved Linux compatibility and NAS use, but the EVO was not specifically mentioned. Given the sensitivity of the data stored on a NAS, we would recommend letting the EVO mature before considering this a viable option for that use case."

Note that the Samsung Pro series SSDs employ MLC (compared to SLC) - multi-level cell, higher capacity, lower speed, lower endurance) and the EVO series employ TLC - triple-level cell, highest capacity, lowest speed, lowest endurance. MLC and TLC have largely replaced SLC - single-level cell, lowest capacity, highest speed, greatest endurance SSDs. TLC is is recommended for consumer use. Search on "SLC vs. MLC vs. TLC" for more info on the technology.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 has been proven not to be secure many times.

Your link saying that 10 is the most secure is just a advertisement.

NT was the most secure. Back when MS sent you service packs on a disk.

No monthly patches BS.

6. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is just one link available of many. Please take the time to review some of the Black Hat materials, and tech briefs. To be very clear, Windows 10 is only the most secure MS Windows, not the most secure OS. Saying NT is the most secure, is like saying a Pinto is the safest car you can buy. The following list shows just a few of the many issues.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-2712/Microsoft-Windows-nt.html

Misleading people, and encouraging them to run an obsolete OS, is negligent at best. I only have 30 + years of corporate IT to back up my opinions.

I am RHEL 6 certified, CCNA certified, Security+ certified, CISSP trained, just the short list.

I humbly apologize if you have greater credentials.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Different meaning than the original Windows NT OS that I referenced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

Your credentials are impressive. :cool:

8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is. But trim is not necessarily a given on Linux, and definitely not on OS X third party SATA drives.

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...but it's easy to enable Trim in OS-X--just go into Terminal and type:

sudo trimforce enable

...press Enter/Return, then enter 'Y' (for Yes) twice to install. Done.

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried changing to Windows driver in Device Manger makes no difference at all using Device Manager using the Samsung SSD.... not tried changing to IDE in Bios though as some suggest.

Works flawless with a Crucial SSD.... and in any driver mode in Device Manager. Thought I'd give an update, so in my case the Samsung can be a bit fickle with AMD CPU's.

Dave