ad: ARR

Beware Samsung SSD drives...!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Aug 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

pagefile.sys should not be on a SSD Drive.

Even prefetch may shorten its life, And should not be needed.

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Even reading and writing will shorten an SSD's life.

There's all sorts of miffs and whiffs on t'internet, about what to do and what not to do... did ya' miss File indexing out Don?

There's that much advice I don't know what to believe, obvious to me the less reading and writing they do the better, file indexing is one of em' where you should AND shouldn't.

Dave

3. KA9JLM

I am not sure indexing a SSD would buy you much, Because you have all the speed that you need, (Or should).

Another thought is using Thumb files that require updates every time a file is added or a directory is accessed.

View list instead of thumbs may be best. Depends on what you like and do.

The only box that I have with a SSD runs Linux. The computer is about 4" X 4" X 3" and uses very little power.

A SSD is cheap now a days, So when it fails you only cry about data loss, Not the price to replace it. :)

4. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave (G4COE),

Are you mixing AMD with ASUS? 2 separate companies.

I've got an ASUS ROG mobo (brand new) with an AMD Ryzen 16 core CPU, 16 GB RAM and 2 Samsung EVO SSDs (1TB and 256GB) both in AHCI mode and it works fine under Win10 Pro 64-bit. System hasn't froze up or crashed yet. One thing, for sure, is I didn't install the drivers that are included on DVD/CD with the mobo; I just let Micro$oft find the right ones and install those.

73s

Joe KC8RLU

5. G4COE

No, no I never mentioned Asus. I'm running AMD CPU on a Gigabyte mob0 with AMD drivers..... using Microsoft drivers instead of AMD reported many times does the trick, same with switching to IDE in bios...? I gotta work that one out.

Sounds like you did the right thing and I didn't in letting MS find the drivers!

I'm running in ACHI, I need to clone a drive so I can have a play, at moment 'play time' is like rocking horse manure.

Dave

6. KA9JLM

Well that is the problem. :D

I am sure you can get it working. :)

7. KC8RLU

AHCI mode is mostly used for drives that are over 2TB in capacity. If you're drives don't exceed that, you can keep your SATA ports in IDE or non-AHCI mode. On some mobos, some on-board SATA ports are disabled, unless you enable AHCI mode (or RAID mode, if you set up your drives that way).

On my setup, I've got a 1TB and 256GB SSDs, a 1TB and a 4TB HDDs. They're all wired up via SATA ports. I have to enable AHCI in order for Windows to see the 4TB drive.

Okay, Gigabyte motherboard; got it. One thing - don't mistaken CPU manufacturers with motherboard manufacturers. (On the other hand, Intel did in fact make motherboards years ago, but they stopped supporting that as of this year. Meaning, 5 years ago they stopped producing boards and they ended support this year.) I don't recall AMD ever made their own motherboards. I have seen other brand names make boards that are built for AMD processors and the same for Intel chips.

8. G4COE

Dumb me, wished they explained that in the Gigabyte mobo book, now that seems to back up the stuff I'd been reading. I just wouldn't know how to fill a 2TB drive.... "yet". Still not filled the 80gB on my XP machine, just had a peek on this Win 7 250Gb 'spinner' only used 30Gb. Anything I wanna keep goes on the internal storage drive.

I got that idea of working when Norton AV used corrupt my XP in the early day's, in the day's when 256Mb of RAM and 80Gb HDD's were common... stuck to me like glue that did, now we have drives like alligators, taking a month of Sunday's to format.

Dave

9. KC8RLU

My previous mobo, an ASUS M3N78-VM, had this very feature; disable AHCI and 2 out of 5 SATA ports are disabled as well.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I bought three (3) Intel DH87RL “Round Lake” motherboards (last production revision) in 2013/2014 for my last desktop computer upgrades. At the time, the DH87RL were difficult to acquire (allocations by Intel) from my long-time Intel dealer. Hoarding was another issue.
    I selected the Intel i7-4770S (65 watt) for efficient, cool, and quiet CPU operation.
    For boot drive, the SanDisk Ultra® 3D SSD - 500GB

Microsoft Windows development historically always had an Intel mfg. motherboard in their “testing mix”, so I rarely had issues with Windows (except for the MS Vista/Steve Ballmer disaster).
    ==
    All three (3) of those machines are running Win10, latest release, and stable.
    I like the mix of features on this mATX board with Intel’s add-on WLAN/Bluetooth.

Only add-on card is the LAVA DSerial-PCIe (PCIe 2 port RS-232).
    Long-time Canadian company with First-Class Support
    https://lavaports.com/serial-parallel-cards/products-pcie-bus-io-cards/dserial-pcie/

I exclusively use FTDI bridge cables for TTL serial / UART programming / CAT control cables.
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm#TTL-232R-5V

I acquired the FTDI UT232R-200 (USB-to-RS232) cables,
    https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_UT232R-500.pdf
    when these were selling in FTDI sealed anti-static bags for $10 (new old stock),
    from a Maryland warehouse (gov’t / industry inventory surplus).
    https://brtchip.com/product/ut232r-200/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019