Beware Samsung SSD drives...!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Aug 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep I've installed a Samsung Evo 860 SSD works fine except it has a querk, it either crashes, locks up or reboots the machine, it can take a day or so for this to happen and the reason is....

AMD Mobo and CPU's ACHI drivers don't play ball with Samsung hard drive's .... and they have problems with AMD Ryzen CPU's - wished I knew before buying.

When I get time I gotta update a clone drive and have a play-:

1) Is going into bios and switching from ACHI to IDE
    2) Another thing I need try is to go into device manager to SATA driver and switch from AMD to Standard MS driver.
    3) The last thing I can try is modding the registry.

Thanks Samsung ya' got mi' money and I've got the problems.... no caveats, warnings er nowt! I should have done my homework first, AMD are not playing ball with SammySung are they?

Dave

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

3. G4COE

Hi, thanks for that link I've bookmarked it.

Got a bit wee snowed under here so not been able to play, sure does appear to be the problem, as I see it we are just swapping the AMD driver for the MS one in device manager.

I'm confused lol.... my next pewter build do I stay clear of AMD, Samsung or both?? Never used Intel always AMD 's.

What I will do I will update the clone drive and make a spare to play on, I do have a Crucial 250Gb SSD maybe I should give that a try, I'll never fill it let alone the Sammy 500Gb, any files I wanna keep goes on a separate storage drive.

Thank you again for the link very much appreciated. Dave

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What OS are you using ?

5. G4COE

Win 7 pro x64 bits, sorry, thought I'd mentioned.

Plastered all or'e t'tinternet it is. Sammysung just don't like playing ball AND they're blaming AMD according to a nice letter I had from them...

They would wouldn't they..... was it AMD that made their darn SSD drives? More like AMD wouldn't let em' use their drivers sounds about right. Wonder how many folks have been caught out with using the AMD Ryzen core?

Just gotta try mi 250Gb Crucial before doing anything to see if I get the same result.

Dave

6. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds more like a motherboard BIOS issue. My Samsung and Crucial drives all work a treat. Several OS variants.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A BIOS update may fix it or brick it.

New hardware running on older hardware is problematic.

That is why I stay old school and avoid problems.
    I run the same OS, It is the best so far. I use disks that spin. They are fast enough for me.

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 5 computers running Samsung SSDs. 2 are AMD.
    No problems at all.
    Start from scratch & follow all manufacturer directions.

Ed

9. G4COE

Folks have had same problems using Ryzen cpu's and they aren't exactly ancient. Guess it's a bit like the new worker.... "there's the shovels take ya pick and get to work", said the foreman.

Dave

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several Samsung EVO SSD and NVMe drives. No problems at all: EVO NVMe running under Win10 and Ubuntu 19.4 on Ryzen 3500 CPU in Asus VivoBook laptop; EVO NVMe running on Rockpro 64 hexacore running linux; EVO SSD on win7 old AMD 2 core laptop.