Beware of Sue O Vanvelkinbourgh stealing money under cover of n8tl. She lives in pueblo co.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W2RDT, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed a want ad for a ft-726r transceiver on 07-30-2019. I received an e-mail from a Ray T Lau N8TL3135@gmail.com stating he had a radio. We agreed on a price. The gentlemen NEVER Knew this was happening. The lady uses him for her stealing and she got me for $190.00. I cannot recover it the Post Office and Local Police say there is no recourse. ALL HAMS BEWARE OF THIS WOMAN. I have more info. Contact W2RDT@yahoo.com.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The N8TL scammer is very well known. That account was hacked in June (and banned - the real N8TL has never pinged QRZ to have access restored)

Very likely it's not a woman and not even someone in the US.

Where did you place the ad - what web site? Not here, obviously (I checked)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed the ad on QTH Forums. On 08/02/2019

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRZ swap meet is now the safest place to sell - with the ID Verified program now in place (Green "Verified" banners for those who have done it)

Is it perfect? No - nothing can be.

Is it safer that QTH or eHam or elsewhere? Pretty much....

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR and K7JEM like this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Some more information would be helpful. Address? If someone wants a money order or similar, run away. Want ads are magnets for scammers.

KA2FIR likes this.
  6. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Call signs are unique and specific to only one person; I mean, with the club/event exception. If anybody uses an email with a call sign and some seemingly random number afterwards, you can guess with 95% accuracy it's a scam.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not necessarily. I use my callsign with yahoo.com, but when I set up a GMail account, it needed to be longer, so I added two digits to the end of my callsign, which happens to be my birth year. That made it long enough to qualify as an address.

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same issue with google, so used 'xray' at the end to make it longer.

Be glad, you're the 5%. :p

9. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was your email address included in your WTB ad?

10. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Placed a wtb for an FT767 and received a reply yesterday from N8TL with pictures and text that didn’t exactly sound appropriate for a knowledgeable ham selling equipment. Asked for another picture showing the serial number. Told ‘seller’ to reply to my thread via QRZ so I could confirm him a Verified Seller. Silence. Thanks for the info in these posts.