ad: M2Ant-1

Beware of purchasing from AF4K.COM

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by N8ZI, Sep 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a heads up on a scammer I recently encountered.
    I was searching for a dualband HT for a friend who has no eBay, PayPal or computer access and came across the exact model on af4k.com website.
    The item was advertised as, "It is complete, but needs charger for battery - otherwise complete and untested." I emailed Brian Carling AF4K and asked for further information with photos of the transceiver. We exchanged several emails to which he continually stated the rig was complete and a great deal yet he never sent any photos even though I kept asking for them. After about another 6 emails he finally sent 3 photos which contained 2 shots across the face at an off angle and 1 photo of the antenna/speaker mic accessories. Not being familiar with the rig nor it's layout I agreed to purchase it.
    Remembering complaints about AF4K from other Hams and the Amateur Radio social network arguments he used to get into I figured it would be wise to CYA and pay through PayPal even if it cost a little more.
    The package was sent priority mail 2 day shipping. After 4 days of my package MIA and no tracking update from USPS I sent AF4K an email asking for a copy of the shipping to verify my correct address was on the label. He became very angry and sent a heated and argumentative reply.
    After 4 more email exchanges Brian finally sent a copy of the shipping info. It took 1 week to arrive at my QTH as the inept USPS sent it to most every state before mine.
    Now I have the rig and though the ordeal was finally finished until I opened the package only to find the volume and channel memory knobs were completely broken off from the top of the HT and NOT in the shipping box. Not only that but the paint on the whole underside and back of the HT is flaked off. This was not a "complete" rig as he advertised...... Never once did he disclose the broken knobs or paint issue. He knowingly sent me a unuseable useless paperweight.
    I sent him an email, to which he still ignores, then later filed a dispute with PayPal. According to PayPal he refuses to issue a refund and claims the rig was in perfect condition.
    Now the lengthy dispute process with PayPal to receive a refund begins....
    I should have heeded the warnings of that little voice when i remembered the complaints about him before.
    My lesson is learned and I wish no other Ham encounters the same problems from AF4K or any other scammer.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If a person has ever been reported as a scammer, never deal with them. Tigers don't change their spots.

K3XR, KF5RRF and N8ZI like this.