BeWare of Priority USPS Mail ( insurance ) $$$$

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KD0USA, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD0USA

KD0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

on 13 Oct 2018 i shipped Priority mail to N.Y. the mail is LOST . The claims at usps.com Does not work!!! I also tried the voice claims # for USPS its Halmark cards # on the URL. I went to the local post office who tracked the mail to Brooklyn N.Y. its now in a Bin / Container which is LOST !!! The office of the Inspector General for USPS will not help. At this time the ITEM will not be recovered and the USPS will not Pay the Claim. Be aware that You cant apply for a Claim you cant aquire a paper claim form . The story ends here. TEST IT YOURSELF BELOW
    File a Claim | USPS - USPS.com

https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

If you're unable to file a claim online, please call 1-800-332-0317 to have a Domestic Claim Form mailed to you. Select Option 4, and select Option 4 again to receive a Domestic Claim PS Form 1000. Complete the form and mail it, along with proof of value and evidence of insurance, to the address on the form.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why did you not track it yourself ?

I sent a priority letter recently, And $50 insurance was included, And the tracking number was on the receipt.

Took 2 days to be delivered across the USA.

What is a USPS Halmark cards # ?

N3AB and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Can someone translate to plain English. Google fails this test.

WA8MEA, KJ4POM, AJ4GQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD0USA

KD0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

update the VOICE claims # is no good and IE is the only Browser that works for Claims

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean the claim# is no good? I called the number in your first post and it is the USPS, not Hallmark.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I understood what he meant.

Filing a claim with USPS for lost "mail" including the Priority Mail cartons they provide is not an easy task -- I've been through it myself.

First, you use the tracking number to file the claim; they advise that could take up to 90 days to process. If they track the parcel to its last known destination and tracking just drops dead after that, it's "lost" as far as I'm concerned, but not necessarily as far as they are concerned.

Around Christmastime 2016 I mailed a "flat rate" USPS Priority Mail carton containing a gift to my wife's cousin who lives only 30 miles away in the Long Beach area. It should have been there in one day, but it wasn't. It also wasn't there in one week, so I tried to file a claim, but they don't accept claims within 30 days of the shipment date. They tracked it to Sacramento, which is almost 400 miles in the wrong direction, and the tracking dropped dead there.

While waiting another 23 days to actually file a claim, the package eventually showed up at the relative's house, although the tracking system never showed any of that! In their system, it was still lost up in Sacramento someplace. But the cousin called us to say thank you (about two weeks after mailing the package), so we know he got it.

I think their tracking system sucks.:p I don't use it for anything of value anymore, at all. If something has value, I use FedEx, whose tracking system seems 99.99% perfect.

K9ASE likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FedEx will bend over backwards working out a lost parcel claim. I've only ever had two of them, but they worked it until there was a resolution in both cases, and quickly. One ended up being a Kevlar envelope that had wedged behind a shipping counter, and they found it!! The did a scouring of every place the envelope ever touched, and an alert worker spotted it.

The second was never found but the full insurance claim was paid in less than 10 days.

I ONLY use FedEx if it's something valuable

USPS? Nah... I've had packages lost by them and they really couldn't care less.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think their tracking system normally works fine.

The problem is when it gets lost or stolen, They can't scan it to track it. :oops: