Beware of K8MHW imposter

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA1MXL, Oct 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA1MXL

KA1MXL Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed a "WANTED" ad recently and was contacted by someone claiming to be Mark Weisheimer. Everyting seemed legit until he instructed me to pay with payapl friends and family. He is using a gmail email address, but gave hellena780@live.cn as the paypal address. When I google that address it comes back to Guangzhou Hot Beauty Hair Products Co.,ltd.

Needless to say "MARK" has not replied to me after I pushed for more answers.

2. K8MHW

K8MHW Ham Member QRZ Page

This IS Mark replying to you now and this scam and one more involving my name and call were discovered by me on Christmas eve when I was researching a previous purchase made here on QRZ.com

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/mfj-1788-mag-loop-antenna.583915/#post-4420282

I slept on it, and then searched again in the morning and found this posting.
    They both occurred on Oct 9, 2017 and both were responses to an existing post or ad.

I have bought gear and parts here in the past year and I read some of the many forums.
    But as yet, I have never sold, advertised for sale, nor contacted anyone about selling them anything.
    My history should be able to be verified by the forum admins.

I am a legitimate ham since 1969 a and member here at QRZ for somewhat less than a year.
    This scammer appears to be using QRZ.com to obtain legitimate names and calls.
    They then create legitimate looking e-mail addresses and perhaps paypal accounts to use with their scam.

I shall update my QRZ profile to warn that my name and call have been used to attempt scams.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never, ever use "Friends and Family" Paypal service for transactions with anyone you don't know well.

Big red flag.