Beware of a scammer using the call sign WB9BXT

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KR9Q, Nov 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KR9Q

KR9Q Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ALL,
    I placed an ad looking for a Palstar balanced line tuner, below is the chain of emails I received from a scammer using a LEGIT call sign with no email address listed for verification. I found Roger's phone number and called him to verify and he had no idea what I was talking about. I also found the pictures of the same tuner in a 2017 for sale listing. He had went as far as to photo shop the original call sign shown in pics to the hi jacked one.

Hope this helps the legit hams trying to do honest trades and sales.
    Jack
    KR9Q

IMG_3349.JPG

GO f**k YOURSELF!! People like you ought to be shot. Found the pictures you copied and photoshopped. f*****g a**!!

ROGER J HOFFMAN <wb9bxt@aol.com>
    Mon 11/19/2018 11:38 AM
    jacksradio@hotmail.com
    I'm out of my home. The serial number is: 16031.
    Thank you!
    Callsign: WB9BXT
    ROGER J HOFFMAN
    2525 TREBEIN RD

Fairborn, OH 45324
    On Monday, November 19, 2018 Jack <jacksradio@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Roger,
    Can you send me a close up of the serial number? I want to call palstar and check on when this tuner was manufactured
    Jack
    KR9Q
    Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:57:39 AM
    To: jacksradio@hotmail.com
    Subject: Re: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hi Jack,

It's Barley used and in excellent condition, no single issues. PayPal email: mitma@usa.com

Thank you!
    ROGER J HOFFMAN
    2525 TREBEIN RD
    Fairborn, OH 45324
    -----Original Message-----
    To: ROGER J HOFFMAN <wb9bxt@aol.com>
    Sent: Mon, Nov 19, 2018 6:08 am
    Subject: Re: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hi Roger,
    Yes I am still looking for a balanced line tuner. What is the history of yours? Any issues? What is your Paypal address?
    Jack
    KR9Q
    Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 3:57:34 AM
    To: jacksradio@hotmail.com
    Subject: Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner for sale

Hello,

Are you still searching for Palstar BT1500A balanced tuner ? I have for sale in 100% working condition that has not been around tobacco smoke. Price $300 shipment included. PayPal payment accepted.

Thank you!
    ROGER J HOFFMAN
    2525 TREBEIN RD
    Fairborn, OH 45324

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why you would be surprised. I'm sure you know that 75% or more of the responses to WTB ads for items $200 plus are from scammers. That's a lot of money to folks living in the slums in and around Lagos.
    It's nice to see that Roger added his email. Please do let aol know that a scammer is using that account. You may also wish to alert PayPal to the scam account and the World Media Group about the scammer group that's spoofing them.

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

This callsign was used to scam back in July involving the sale of a 7610. Roger was contacted during that time to update his BIO with a disclaimer which he still hasn't done. The email address used was wb9bxt@outlook.com. The scammer is using a hijacked QRZ account to get your email address since you didn't put your email address in your WTB ad. 2FA by default.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. KA3HIZ

KA3HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am investigating a similar one that is using the callsign of KB3DHZ. Unfortunately, there is no contact info for the real KB3DHZ. I will be working with PayPal since no item arrived so far, and no proof of shipping, and stopped responding. This person is using the email addr. of kb3dhz@gmail.com.

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of his previous QRZ ads has this email: joey0309@yahoo.com

KA2FIR likes this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

By posting your email address in your WTB ad you made it World-Readable.