Beware KN4GZO

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KY5U, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

KN4GZO posted the following message last week: "'I'm looking for a cheap/entry level used HF radio. I'm only 14 and money is pretty rare" I responded I had an HF rig to give him but delivering it was an issue. He tried twice to get me to ship it but I learned I needed to go to Atlanta that weekend. As he said he lives in Atlanta, I offered to meet him and give him the rig which included power cable and microphone. I was also throwing in an MFJ tuner and hookup cable.

I tried three times to contact him and no response. I suspect he was not a young ham but someone trying to scam a free radio perhaps using his call or he himself was not 14 as stated. He wanted it shipped and when I refused but offered to meet him in person he disappeared.

Just be aware and careful that if KN4GZO posts anything it should be suspect.

2. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

It also could have been the reciprocal. The idea that someone wanted to ONLY MEET a 14 year old may have put red flags up for him, especially if he may not have told his parents he was trying to get a radio free. So to be safe he stayed away from a person he could have perceived a child predator. Could be why he disappeared. If so ... smart kid!

You could maybe contact some of the hams in his logbook here on QRZ who are local to him to see if they can contact him and verify. It would be nice to gift a radio to a young man interested in our hobby.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    KA2FIR and M0KBO like this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe he is related to Randall, K9RMR.
    https://www.gofundme.com/andrew-a-13-year-old-ham-s-fund

If you still want to help him, what I would do is to write a letter addressed to his parents. Let them know what you want to do for him. They may not even be aware that he is posting on line for help from strangers.

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Lisa. Good advice.

N6QIC likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like your point raises red flags for me.

7. N6DHU

N6DHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The kid's QRZ page looks legit.
    Go with Lisa's idea.