BEWARE - Echolink software corrupts computers

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by 2E0GLN, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4JGT

KI4JGT Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on guys. . . Some people don't know how to run a computer properly and they get so defensive about it, b/c they've spent a bunch of money on it. It kind of turns them into idiots (Like a big fancy new car would do the rest of us - except if you're a mechanic then a new radio) Anyway, we've all been there. We didn't know how something worked and when something went wrong, we ran around like idiots trying to figure out what we did :) Or at least I know I have.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect this is very much like what I encounter on a photography forum I frequent.

Someone buys one of the new digital SLR cameras and either does a cursory scan of the manual or doesn't read it at all and then tries to use the camera. When it doesn't perform to his expectations, he jumps on the forum and says "the XX camera is a piece of s**t and I'm sending it back!" After other, more knowledgeable, members get him calmed down and figure out the problem, it turns out to be "operator malfunction" and the problem is solved.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink software is fine, on the other hand MS Windoz has a tendency to corrupt your computer.....Place blame where blame is due.

5. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Painful

Echolink is really easy to install .
    I had issues wth my router firewall . Just had to open a couple ports .

If you do not have a router , it is a piece of cake .

It is one of those things that one must READ the instructions.

I went through the router routine . I have used it TWICE only

because some of the neewbies told me I could not do it .

Fret not .

If you can READ , Echolink is easy . If you cannot comprehend , it is tough .

I did it JUST BECAUSE .. It is a waste of time . Real radio is much tougher .

That is all .

J.

PS Beat up on me for my post . It s still NOT real radio if a computer is required to make the contact . Everyone wants FM quality. On real radio,
    that is not always the case . Many echo-guys will remain echo-guys .
    There is room for them if the internet is working . I think it is great .

Keeps them busy using their ( not there ) computers .
    ALL HAIL INTERNET !!!!!!

:eek: :mad: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. M0NKA

M0NKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

You heard of ADS 1.2 ? (Arm Developers Suite). This software was also installed
    on hundred of thousands of computers - probably to make every copied Chinese
    gadget to high end nokia phones. Works fine on XP, but crash miserably on 7,
    whenever it feels likes.

The only solution is to disable all eye candy and make the OS look like 3.11. So it's just
    another example of software that hasn't been updated in years, maybe this is the
    reason in the first place ?

I have nothing against Echolink, i even installed it on my iPhone and i find it a great
    tool. But still doesn't mean is free of bugs or impossible to create problems
    because 'But it worked on my PC...'

7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink, Skype....it's all VOIP when you get right down to it. They both work well, and while you don't HAVE to use a callsign on Skype there's nothing to prevent you from doing so.

8. KD2AKG

KD2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just installed echolink today. It's pretty cool, but I agree it is like cheating. But-I use a wireless internet connection, so that counts, right?

It seems like a good way to QSO when you can't use a radio.

9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Does it count?" is a good question. Opinions seem to be divided. I think people's reaction to echolink is part of a more general type of reaction that they have to certain types of situations.

If you once made a connection at Charles de Gaulle airport, does that count as having spent time in France? If you think it does, then you will probably think that echolink "counts" as part of ham radio. If you don't, then you probably won't think that echolink "counts".

If you were once introduced to Frank Sinatra in 1975, can you now reasonably claim to have known Frank Sinatra? If you think you can claim to have known Ole Blue eyes, then you probably think that echolink "counts" as part of ham radio. If you don't, then you probably won't think that echolink counts.

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes me glad my TRS-80 is not running Windows, or Echolink. TRSDOS 6 is the best OS out there, no virus problems, no worms, no malware. Just pure computing fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.