BEWARE - Echolink software corrupts computers

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by 2E0GLN, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0GLN

2E0GLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to sound sensational, but I thought having used echolink on my radio it would be nice to play with the computer version - I even bought a microphone for the pc.
    The download went great, then I got to the validation stage & decided it was simply too much hassle, & anyway what was the point if I could do it from my radio.
    Dutifully I deleted the echolink program (Successfully) & here the problem starts.
    Everytime I try to access a shortcut on my computer I get the message - " A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider for internet explorer" - I can attribute this directly to the echolink software download, as my pc was fine before I attempted this foolhardy experiment.
    If anyone can advise me how to restore my pc to it's former glory I would be very grateful.
    However I still stand by my opening title - BEWARE Echolink software corrupts computers.
    Yours - Older (But never any wiser) Glynne M6GLW

2. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

if you are running a windows os like XP or better, go do a restore from a valid restore point

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the reasoning behind a computer version. Isn't using the radio the entire purpose of Echolink? If I want to communicate with someone using my computer, I have e-mail and Skype already installed and they didn't corrupt anything...

4. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you delete files manually, or did you use the add/remove programs feature to uninstall it?

5. 2E0GLN

2E0GLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike, I used the add/remove feature to uninstall it, I am now going to backdate the pc as suggested by another contributer, also noted is the comment about it not being real radio, which I 100% agree with, it is not real radio, - Real radio is transmitting from a real radio, using a real antenna & making a real contact with real people, not through the internet - Echolink is not an alternative to radio, I may as well dial a random number on my mobile phone.
    Yours disgruntledly - Glynne (M6GLW) Grumble, Grumble , Bloody echolink, Grumble Grumble, Bloody computers.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This belongs on the EchoLink forum, where the program's author often responds to software issues.

I've installed and removed EchoLink from many, many computers over the years and never saw anything like you describe.

What was you 'default search provider'? It sounds like some IE plugin got trashed. What version of IE is involved?

As for using EchoLink from a PC - it's often a more convenient way to do it. I don't believe in going computer-to-computer with it, either, but I sometimes go from computer to remote repeater or simplex link. When I do EchoLink from my smartphone, that's exactly what I'm doing. When travelling, it's often easier to find a fast dialup Internet connection than a local EchoLink radio node. It's a lot of fun to check into the local repeater from wherever I and my laptop or my Android phone are wandering. There are also places where Echolink nodes exist and cell coverage does not, so it's nice to be equipped for either. Another plus for the PC access is if you're participating in a big net or roundtable, like Handihams, your RF EchoLink connection will time out unless it's been set up specifically for that purpose. You can connect to the conference server from your PC and not have to worry about timing out the local repeater timer.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Not necessarily.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to the computer default settings and make IE your default browser.

9. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing in EchoLink that harms a computer.

There are a million reasons why this could have happened including other software installed on the system, patches that are out of date, a failing hard drive, broken IE plugins, and malware.

EchoLink does not "corrupt" computers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. M0NKA

M0NKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I had similar problem on win7(32bit). I have decided to uninstall bunch of programs an week ago. After restart windows lost all file associations. It
    was no longer possible to repair them - manually or with registry edit based on MS tips for this problem. The other negative effect was the windows
    explorer was unable remember window position and size when closed. Also was not possible to change item view type in any folder.

I attribute the problem to Echolink as it was one of the programs i removed, and the only one that showed warning about shared component that
    might affect other programs if removed. System Restore fixed the problem. Of course could be other problem, but i am not willing to experiment
    further, just glad that is fixed as this is my workstation, really needed non stop.

Thanks guys for pointing it out and help repair the problem, i was seriously thinking of full re-install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.