Best Yaesu mobile rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0MIO, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8BIG

KD8BIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Best Yaesu Rig

The FT- 8900. If your looking for a rig that can give you options the FT-8900 is the one. I love my 8900, I use it as a base rig and it is awesome. I can sit outside on the patio with my HT and using the 8900's cross band repeat feature I can talk simplex up 35 miles with ease or hit repeaters in other counties.
    You can also use the 8900 for Satellite communications. It is also a Quad Band FM transceiver, able to work 70cm, 2m, 6m and 10 meter bands. All bands that a technician has privileges on

Good luck

Mark
    de KD8BIG

2. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an 8800R in my shack.
    No intermod.....ever.
    It's 10 times the radio it replaced, an Icom IC-2720.
    Now there is a gutless intermod queen. Get it within 2 miles of another low-band VHF transmitter and it would start making all manner of weird noises.

3. KM5ART

KM5ART Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is a few months old so I'm assuming that you've already bought a radio. Asking a ham what radio will works best will get you all sorts of answers. I'll tell you what I have and why.

I was told my a friend to get a dual band radio 2m/70cm and I'm glad that I took that advise. I get 2m that I wanted and have already been glad that I've had the 440 available.

For my car I put in a Yaesu FT-7900. I did this because I wanted access to both bands but didn't need cross band repeat. I have a diamond NR770HBNMO dual band anteanna (drilled a hole in the trunk lid and eveything) I can get out great. This radio is great with 50 watts on 2m and 45 watts on 70cm. The combination of this radio and anteanna so far has been fantastic.

For my desk at home I have a Kenwood TM-V71A with a diamond X300NA on a 20 foot mast. For the house I did want a cross band repeat, and I chose Kenwood over a Yaesu beacause I liked the looks and fuctions better (plus has a real mic feel, yaesu is kinda slim and I feel like I'm going to break it).

So there you have it. But I highly suggest getting a dual band radio. The extra expense now is better then getting just a 2m rig and then wanting more later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.