Best Yaesu mobile rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0MIO, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KL2TC

KL2TC Ham Member QRZ Page

The VFO knob on the FT-2900 is smooth as silk. I really like everything about the rig, it is rugged and well thought out. I own one in my shack for 2Ms and I have one on order for replacing a Kenwood TM-271 in my truck. The difference between the VFOs between the Kenwood and the Yaesu is amazing. The Yaesu wins hands down.

Al

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts on the FT-8800. If you live in a big city where intermod is an issue stay away from this radio.

I use one on the base and I am in a small city and the FT-8800 is prone to intermod on 2 meters. To the point where I sometimes unhook it and store it and bring out the old RS HTX 212. it does not get bothered by intermod.

3. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want something a little older the FT2500M is a good solid radio as well.

4. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or the older FT-2400. That was my first 2 meter rig and it was built like a tank!

5. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 8800R and LOVE it! I live out in the country, so the crossband repeat comes in really handy. It is ARTS compatible (not that I use it), full duplex, very user friendly, and the list goes on. The only thing I didn't like was the speaker (too quiet). The was easily solved with an external speaker. That issue may have been due to the fact that I had it under the seat of the truck with the remote head on the dash.

6. N0PGR

N0PGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my + 15 year old FT-2400 and FT-7400.

Inter-mod better then most.

Never lost a brick

Never lost a tack switch

CON: lamps . Select , vol and sql knob needs touching up once in a blue moon (squeeze the fingers around the body of the switch/pots) , but that might just be me

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put an FT-7900 in the wife's car. Very limited real estate on the dash, so the remote head is a plus. Really cool radio, but a bit more complicated and less well documented than the other Yaesu radios. Thank goodness I got the software with it.

8. N4TNA

N4TNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently trying to make a similar decision. I've narrowed it down to either the FT1900R and the FT2900R. Those of you with the 2900, do you find yourself using the full TX power that often and was it worth the extra money to have that extra power available.

9. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll throw in my two cents.....

I have an 8800r in my work truck, which I use on a daily basis - great radio.

I also have a 2900r in my wife's van (she's also a ham). Also a great radio - with some power.

I feel the same way about the Icom VHf/UHF radio's....had one, couldn't stand it....sold it off...

Robert
    AK4BM

10. KG9KF

KG9KF Ham Member QRZ Page

even older!

An even older model is the FT 2200! Great little 2m radio. Small profile, easy to use and built like a Sherman tank...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.