Best Yaesu mobile rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0MIO, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

ok I am looking for a little 2 meter rig from Yaesu, (not a fan of the icom microphones or there ptt button). It would be something i keep in the car and maybe even use inside. I see that i have to choose from the 1802M, 1900R, 2800M, 2900R, or the 7900R, 8800R.

Which one of these is the best or your favorite and why?

2. KI6HLD

KI6HLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a FT8800 and liked it well enough to buy another. Of all the ones you list, it is essentially two radios in one box. The only tricky part is sometimes figuring out which one I'm listening to. Each side is identical, with separate memories. 2m & 440 with the ability to cross-band repeat. Not an essential feature, but I have used it to repeat to a little handheld when out of the vehicle.

Simpler is the FT7900, which recieves only one signal at a time, has lighted buttons the 8800 lacks, and has one set of memories. 2m & 440.

The FT8900 is sort of a mix of the two. It's memories are all in one bank, but it can listen to two signals at once, and cross-band repeat. 10m, 6m 2m & 440. Around my area there is only one sort of active 10m repeater, and maybe two 6m repeaters. The rig is FM transmit only, so you can't use it in the SSB portions of those bands. Also somewhat trickier controls from what I've heard.

The others you list I believe are single band only, never tried them.

3. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have a icon 2200h. Its a great radii I just don't like the Mic after using a yaesu 857d which sadly I had to sell due to this amazing economy. I really want a yaesu 2 meet rig. Are there really any main differences between the 1990r and the 2800/2900

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind some of the models you listed are no longer in production, IIRC. If you decide to get a used or NOS unit, I would Google first to see if there are known issues.

I have an FT-1900R in my van and I love it. Not a single problem, despite a crappy antenna with occasional high SWR.

5. KI6DKC

KI6DKC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 1802M. Good radio even though it is no longer in production. I almost bought a used one at a ham fest because it's been such a good radio.

6. S55DB

S55DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have FT-1900, loud and simple to use radio, I paid 150e with antenna, just right considering how much I drive my car :)

7. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have the 1802M also. Had it for almost 2 years now.The 1900 is the same rig with 5 more watts output.

Good, inexpensive, great audio reports. If you don't need more than 2m, this is it.

Bill

8. KD0JMH

KD0JMH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are only going to be doing 2 meters then I would recommend the 2900.

I have not owned mine for very long but can say it is built TOUGH and has large enough knobs to operate with ease, the adjustable brightness is nice too, it gets really bright. It is also loud enough to run with both windows down and still hear the radio. It has several "banks" of memories, 8 I believe, I only use 3. It also has great sound reports from folks whom said my HT was tin sounding before. It also has 5, 10, 25, or 50 watts and when you store a repeater in the memories you can store the power setting for it as well.

My friend and I did a "test" and he drove about 25-30 miles as the crow flies and I had to go up a step in power after about 10 and again at about 15 and then was at full power with an excellent reports on both radios with just a little white noise starting to creep in at the end.

While sitting at the St Louis air port I can hit the Farmington and Potosi MO repeaters which are about 60 miles as the crow flies.

I can not speak to reliability, but eham indicates it is more or less the 2800 with the issues resolved like loose knobs etc. It is also an inexpensive choice so it hit my mobile criteria real well, durable, strong transmit and receive, and not breaking the bank, that will be the base unit lol.

9. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2900 does 5, 10, 30, and 75 watts. That's one of the things they changed when they replaced the 2800. I've had a 2800 for almost three years now, and I love it. I also have a Kenwood dual band radio I bought, but it sits on the shelf because I like the Yaeu better. There's so little 70cm activity around here that I wonder why I even bothered to buy that Kenwood. Everyone tells me I have good strong audio from the 2800. It's easy to program and has a bigger display than the 1900. My only complaint is that it's very easy to hit the WIRES button when trying to shut the radio off without looking.

10. W6CD

W6CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have FT-2800 as a base station radio and a FT-1500 in the Jeep. Both work great. The FT-1500 is very small, primary reason I got it for the Jeep. I would recommend them both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.