Best VHF UHF receive antenna?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE7RUX, Oct 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for a base station VHF UHF receive antenna, and I would like to know what you have found works best. This is for the intent of omnidirectional receive. The mode I would use most is FM, (and perhaps DMR or SSB in the future,) so the focus right now is vertical polarization; but perhaps there is a receive antenna or receive system that you have found works well for both vertical and horizontally polarized signals? I have done some study on using yagis or vertical/horizontal beverage antennas, but no field experience. I will be focused on the 70cm range the most. I would appreciate the capability of a wide receive range, but I would prefer best performance over anything else. The lower noise the better!
    Thank you & 73

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

On a vertical, more gain = tighter pattern. i.e. A 1/4 wave vertical will pick up signals from a much wider angle than an antenna with gain. And an antenna with too much gain may bring in unwanted signals that could overload the front end of your radio and make things worse.

K0UO likes this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mount your antenna as high as possible.

K9ASE, K0UO and WA7ARK like this.
  4. KC6RCM

KC6RCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had positive results with the MP Classic Base Station Antenna (08-ANT-0863). One can also transmit (200 watts) on the 2 meter, 1.25 and 70 centimeter ham bands. www.mpantenna.com

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not for horizontal polarization but probably the best antennas going are the DB-228 (now made by WISCO International)

http://www.wiscointl.com/decibel/dipoles/db228.htm

A true 9 dB gain in the omni-directional mode and 500-watts power handling.

Or the "stationmaster" types that have a little over 5 dB gain for most types and 500-watts power handling

https://www.tessco.com/product/151-5-159-5-mhz-5-25dbd-fiberglass-omni-antenna-576792

Both antenna types are made to withstand high wind speeds, etc. They last for literally decades in commercial service. They are also at DC ground for best lightning protection.

However, you are going to have to "pay through the nose" for them.

What you really need to do is to set a maximum price and then ask the question! That way you can then get suggestions and compare specifications, etc.

Glen, K9STH

K0UO likes this.
  6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my Discone. Continuous from 95 MHz to 810 MHz under 1.5:1 SWR. I have run 1.5KW on 2 meters & 500 on 70cm.
    Been with me since 85 or 86 & I bought it used at a ham swap.

Ed

7. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

A simple TV antenna will work very well and costs far less than all other options
    The Winegard HD7000 costs $39 bucks and covers 50-900Mhz with ease
    Just mount it vertical

Receive ONLY naturally

8. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a bunch of things that define "best" like gain, cost, and ruggedness, so in my case I really like the Diamond X50NA for a good all-around combination of moderate gain, ruggedness and being dirt-cheap. I'd recommend the N-connector version.

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time I owned a Comet fiberglass base station antenna, I think that the model was SP-3 ( not offered anymore ). A good UHF antenna should be set at a reasonable height ( as in 30 ft. or more above terrain, more if heavily wooded- as in trees can attenuate the signal when wet ). In doing so, be sure that you use a reasonably good coaxial cable. The losses on LMR-400 ( whether Ultraflex or standard ) are usually far less than any RG-8 or RG-58 cable easily obtained. Budget a few extra dollars for a surge-suppressor and entrance panel. There are pros and cons to fixed ( as in the usual Polyphaser(tm) brand ) and removable-cartridge static suppressors. One 'elmer' I know uses a water-shielded box to plug in a PL-259 from his antenna near his basement to an SO-239. The only problem is to remember to plug it in for use, disconnect it at all other times. This same system could be set up for male and female 'N' type connectors, if you choose to install the suppressor later. Ground rods come in different lengths, and connections to pre-existing ones may be found later to be disconnected from your system by the folks who installed them. ( Cable and telephone companies are most likely to do this ). There is plenty of information on bonding in the National Fire Prevention Association's National Electrical Code Book (2017- they update approx. each 3 years). Motorola also has a standard called R56 grounding. You may wish to contact www.eta-i.org for self-study materials. Your antenna creates a potential difference compared to the earth.

W6KCS likes this.
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW- Wrong series- model GP-2 or GP-3 should find a fiberglass base station antenna with the connector shielded inside approx. 1 & 1/4" for mounting. A better option for lower noise would be a yagi ( yet not omni-directional ) such as the inexpensive Cushcraft dual bander with approx 4-5 elements each VHF / UHF.