Best Travel Trailer - mobile ham shack?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N1KTJ, Jan 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My avatar shows my RV shack: a folding table between the front seats of the motorhome. Connected right to the house battery, no power supply to lug around. Swivel the chair around to play radio, but it's not in the way otherwise.

KC8VWM and K7WFM like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Got on the air and have some fun, see everyone in Arizona at Quartz Fest in January

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

K7WFM and N2PQW like this.
  4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Vlad,
    Those WX conditions were just awful! I hope your team got a high score, as consolation for your efforts!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

US7IGN likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

N2PQW likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2017-12-27_15-2-26.png

Picking up new 2018 Rpod R180 (left to right) K3XR, salesman, friend Patty.

KK4NSF, K0PIR, KN4OK and 2 others like this.
  7. KC9QYP

KC9QYP Ham Member QRZ Page

View attachment 426357 y View attachment 426357 View attachment 426358 View attachment 426359 View attachment 426361 This is our rv ham shack. My best bud Dennis Paulin Kb90fm and myself Brad Freund kc9qyp have been building this for over 2 years. We rebuilt the rv installed many new parts and power supplys and air conditioning. We also took out the table and replaced it with our ham radi View attachment 426364 View attachment 426365 View attachment 426366 o stations. View attachment 426362 View attachment 426363 This past fall we finally rebuilt a trailer and now she's on a trailer witch makes it easy to hook up and go. This still is an rv almost everything works , or will this year, can't wait for field day...

8. KC9QYP

KC9QYP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry screw up the first thread.

Here ours rv ham tralier.. My best bud Dennis Paulin kb90fm and myself Brad Freund kc9qyp started on this about 2 years ago. We rebuilt most of the interior , added power supplys , batteries and air conditioning, as well as a few more creature comforts. We have 2 hf radios and a dual band 144/440, and 6 antenna positions on the metal roof.. So plenty of room for expansion.
    We also have an a4 tuner 25 foot tower on the back and another remote a4 tuner with an tri pod tower that we can locate 100 feet away from the rv. We can tune from 80 meters up to uhf...
    This fall we finally rebuilt a trailer and mounted it on a trailer . This makes it easy to hook up and go. This still is an working rv , it has a queen bed up front, a full working kitchen and bathroom. So you could use for camping im sure youll het a few funny looks at the campground.. Im very happy how this is turning out and looking forward to making a few contacts during field with it. A special thanks goes out Dennis kb9ofm and to Lloyd Vandervort n9rpu and Peter Fox kb9wzd for their help in this on going project. 20171101_174038.jpg 20171025_204517.jpg 20171101_174045.jpg 20161123_234737.jpg 20171101_174021.jpg 20171101_174038.jpg 20171025_204517.jpg 20171101_174045.jpg 20161123_234737.jpg

Attached Files:

KG7ZFC, K0PIR, K7WFM and 1 other person like this.
  9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Under the awning of my travel trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

US7IGN and K0PIR like this.
  10. N1SFT

N1SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brad, that is really cool! I know this is an old thread, and I'm sorry to re-activate an old post... but its not often that i see that kind of dedication in my two most favorite hobbies; ham radio and RVing. I like the trailer mounted slide-in. Its the best of both worlds!

My wife and I are onto our third RV, this one is a 32' Travel Trailer bunkhouse. I'm secretly hoping the trailer 'makes it' until the kids are out of the house... because I have big plans for that back bunkroom for a shack!

But until then (the YL's are 8 & 5,) I need to setup a very small corner of the trailer for a shack.

Brad - I'm curious about your choice of battery charger/converter. the one that comes on my trailer puts out an incredible amount of RF Hash! My typical method of operating while RV stationary has been on the picnic table under the awning, and I've got a 25' pigtail power cord run from the primary house battery bank. But - when the unit is plugged into shore power, the charger/converter puts too much noise into the radio. I need to unplug the camper from shore power and just run the FT-891 from the camper batteries.

This works OK because the battery bank is a pair of 6V cart batteries, I think 220 Amp Hours total. but I'd rather be able to leave the unit plugged into shore power and operate.

This winter I'd like to build a small shack inside the unit for operating with warmth.