Best time of day or year for LW reception

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N4AEQ, Sep 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still dont hear anything on either LW band. I know my 160m dipole isn't the best antenna for LW but I need to receive something to get excited enough to improve the antenna setup. I know the 160m band is dead untill
    night and usually alot more active in cooler months than summer, so whats the best time of day and year for LW reception.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me its always during the winter but even then there's only so many good "openings".

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not claim to be an expert on the new LW bands but, Winter nights are best. A 160 meter dipole antenna, as you pointed out, is not a very good antenna for LW. A vertical with as many ground radials as you can practically manage is best. I have not yet worked the new LF/MF bands but I do listen occasionally on a top loaded vertical and hear stations.. BTW, I also end loaded my 3 ground radials with self wound coils. It made a noticeable improvement on 478 KHz .
    Tom WA4ILH

4. N4AEQ

I know dipole is not the best but I can pickup some European LW broadcast stations in winter. Not sure what you mean by [ end loaded ground radials ] where would you place the coils?

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We're still trying to figure this out. Assuming you're working with ground wave, it shouldn't ever make any difference. But.........

6. N4AEQ

OK, just saying I can hear LW broadcast stations from Europe in winter time, but nothing on either of the two LW ham bands.

7. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Install a JT9 program and listen in on 630m/2200m after dark for a while and see what you can find.

Just like the who's that called to Horton; we are here; we are here; we are here!

8. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

OH! And don't forget to listen on WSPR mode too. 'There are many stations calling...'

K0UO likes this.
  9. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Run your ground radials out as far as you can on a normal city size lot and place the coils at the end of the radial, presumably at the boundary of your property line. If you can load a vertical with a coil at the top, (or bottom), you can load a ground radial to make it appear longer. If you live on a farm with 40 acres, you don't need to load them to make them appear longer. You can measure resonance of an antenna system (including ground) with an antenna analyzer. I do not own one of these yet. I presume they will measure below HF. In the olden days, we used a Grid Dip Meter. I wish I still had my Heathkit dip meter.
    Tom WA4ILH

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do consider they may be running a million watts (or more) into rather elaborate antenna systems.

K8PG, KB3UWC and PU2OZT like this.