Best SSB 2 Meter Radio?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE7RUX, Nov 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The BEST 2M all mode radio I had was a Kenwood TS700a.
    Great sensitivity after I put in a bandpass tuned FET preamp.
    Continuous tuning , NOT CHANNELIZED. That is importaint for tuning in SSB and CW signals.
    10 W output, perfect level for driving a solid state SSB linear amplifier to run QRO.
    If the band was flat and nobody on SSB.CW, you could switch to a higher segment and run FM, It even had repeater offsets up or down. I had to wire in my own CTCSS encoder since the rig was mostly targeting SSB/CW users.
    Used it for about ten years but moved and never bothered getting my 2M yagi stack up at my new QTH.

N4FZ likes this.
  2. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a FT-950 HF/6 rig as well... it also just sits on the table collecting dust.

N4FZ and UT7UX like this.
  3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the Yaesu FT-847?
    Meh on HF, but pretty decent on VHF and UHF.

KG4RRH, N3AWS and PA5COR like this.
  4. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another vote here for the TS-700A, and one for the TS-711A also. Both are great all-mode rigs.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm beginning to think that the best ssb 2 meter rig is one that is being used.

WA3GWK, KG4RRH, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  6. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

A transverter with a good multitasking SDR that has a truly good spectrum/waterfall display. Specifically one that can see signals down the noise floor, and has spectrum resolution bandwidth to 5 Hz or better. And also is one that lets you simultaneously watch multiple sub-segments of the band and while also watching the entire 4MHz of the 2M band.

The biggest issue with transverters is that they may need external stabilization for the their local oscillators. And they are a bit more work to setup initially. But that isn't rocket science. And once setup, a transverter with a multitasking SDR is unmatched by any stand alone box radio made by anyone.

I discovered the true value of transverters when I bought my first one for 222 MHz back around 1999. I paired it with a Ten Tec 580 Delta. In terms of recovered audio cleanliness and low noise figure it ran circles around the Icom IC-820H that I was using at the time for 144/432. In short order I converted all my VHF weak signal radios to transverters. So I have been running transverters ever since then and have never looked back. The IF radios that I used have changed over the years for better spectrum displays etc. From my perspective there is nothing from IKY made today or years past that I'd rather have for 2M SSB/CW/(WSJT-X modes) work.

2m_flex6500_70.jpg

N1VAU and N3AWS like this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I absolutely agree with this performance wise, but probably not budget wise!

N1VAU likes this.
  8. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I still had my TS-790A

9. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Got one of those, too, but that's a bit pricy, especially with the 1290 module. I had to buy the radio and then the UT-10 separately.

10. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hands down the FT-847 is in the top 3 outstanding VHF/UHF (including 2m SSB) rigs.
    The other 2 include the FT-736r and the IC-9700.

The ability to handle Satellites is the reason the 847 is famous, the only reason it came about is because it is built on the foundation of the 736r. The FT-991/857/957 all fall into the 'one size fits all' category.

Too bad receivers don't qualify as 2M SSB radios...