Best Speaker for FTdx-3000?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N4MU, Oct 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to upgrade to a "3000" and I'm afraid my MFJ $12 external speaker might not be giving me the best the radio has to offer. Oh, it's worth every bit of $12 but I'm looking for something better. What are anyone's experiences with communications speakers for $100 or less and small enough to not crowd me out of the RV bedroom where the radio is? I don't need a matching cabinet or any EQ, etc. Just a nice speaker. Ideas?

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh the internal speaker on the 3000 is pretty good. Far better than that MFJ external.

Some of the older Kenwood external speakers get great ratings. Me, I just use a computer speaker amplifier with a pair of older 5 1/2" 2-way speakers that have older soft-cone tweeters. They are much more mellow, and cut a lot of hiss. Sound great.

3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

OEY: Thanks...I was wondering what the internal speaker might provide even though it isn't forward fired. Interesting.

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I would wait until I had the rig and had listened to the internal speaker before I would worry too much about it.
    In any event a decent pair of headphones beats most any external speaker out there.

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used several different speakers with my '3000 including an MFJ and some computer speakers. The computer speakers sounded better on SSB, and the little MFJ speaker sounded better on CW.

Right now I am just using the speaker in the rig and that sounds just fine. If I really have to dig a signal out of the noise, I will put the 'phones on.

6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

MH & 9J: Thanks. Yes, I figured I'd wait until I hear the internal speaker to decide. Right now I use the small MFJ speaker and it does well on everything using a 991A. I also have very good headphones and a headset that are used for about 99% of any CW. I will try not to obsess about the speaker thing...got enough other real concerns. LOL. Thanks again es 73.

7. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

It has to suit YOUR ear, as my speaker has to suit mine. You may have a lot of compare/contrast ahead.

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the speakers I use in the shack is the "subwoofer" from an old Sony entertainment system. It's a bookshelf type system so not very big but I put a BHI dsp board in it and run that with my FT-101E. That sounds really sweet for SSB.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ears are the biggest variable....especially given the high freq drop off that comes with age for most people.
    If I'm wearing my hearing aids I can tolerate a speaker. W/O my hearing aids I always use headphones.