Best software for contest logging?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by W3ATV, Dec 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking of running the VHF contest in a couple of weeks. What are my best contest logging options for MAC?

I will be running all 3 modes(FT8, SSB, and CW) with an Icom 7610, so it will have to co-exist with WSJT-X

Thanks for any suggestions and input.

73 and HNY,
    Jim

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GREETINGS JIM,

IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE ARRL, I SUGGEST YOU CHECK WITH THESE FOLKS.

http://www.arrl.org/ncj

THEY SHOULD HAVE THE APPROPRIATE SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU.

ALSO, THE FOLKS AT THIS GROUP SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP.

https://www.yccc.org/

ENJOY CONTESTING AND REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN.

73 - K1LKP

W3ATV likes this.
  3. N9SE

N9SE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.k1gq.com/SkookumLogger/

W3ATV likes this.
  4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While SkookumLogger is a contest logger on par with N1MM+, it doesn't directly support WSJT-X. While RUMlogNG does support WSJT-X directly, I'm not sure whether its superb contest mode does as I haven't tried it using FT8. MacLoggerDX does support WSJT-X, but its contest mode requires the use of a third-party JAVA app to extract cabrillo files properly. In short, I believe none of the major loggers do exactly what you want, but you can likely best cobble something together quickly with RUMlogNG which is free and does support the 7610 very well.

W3ATV likes this.
  5. W3ATV

I have used, and like MacLogger. I never used it for contesting- I'll have to give it a try.
    Just to be sure I understand correctly, after I am done the contest, I will need an app to convert the log into the correct format for the ARRL? Sounds easy... LoL!

Thanks!

6. W0XA

W0XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use HRD for daily logging, but when I contest I use N3FJP.
    He has many contest specific logs.

7. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know the contest you are talking about, but generally spoken: In RUMlog you can run a contest in a normal manner for CW and SSB. For FT8 or FT4 contest QSOs you can just use WSJT-X, Dupe and multiplier checking, logging and scoring will be performed in RUMlog just in time. Operate using the WSJT app, look at the RUMlog app to see your result. RUMlog offers also an automatic answer option while in S&P.

W3ATV likes this.
  8. W3ATV

Does N3FJP run on Mac? I thought I checked into that one and it did not. I'll look into it again.
    Tnx & 73.

9. W3ATV

Does it generate the cabrillo file, or do I have to convert after the logging is complete?
    Thank you,
    Jim

10. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

RUMlog creates Cabrillo files, but since it is a contest specific format you have to check,

K3DCW likes this.