Best short distance antenna?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CAMERART, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N1DQQ

N1DQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a shot in the dark here, but are both operators using the same antenna polarity? I was always told that there was a severe signal loss at close ranges with cross polarity. Just a thought.

2. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any large buildings or other structures that you can both see?
    If so, use 2m or (preferably) 70cm, & directional antennas.
    If you both point your antennas at that structure, you may get enough reflection to make contact.

Years back, when I worked at a TV station, some viewers were getting enough reflection from a metal roof on an "A frame" house about 10 km away, to ruin their TV reception, so reflection can be a real thing.
    OK, the TV station puts out a lot of signal, but it's spread over 5 plus MHz, & TV sets aren't normally as sensitive as ham radios.

NQ1B likes this.
  3. W7XTZ

W7XTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A metal roll around tool box in the garage works GR8!

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do it...it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. (Some olde, long-forgotten sage came up with that.)

Regards,
    -Bruce

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"GR8"?

Two questions:

How old are you? Do you realize this isn't AOL Instant Messenger?

KU4X likes this.
  6. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

There may be a terrain problem. Maybe a hill is in the way? More height may help.

You should be able to work that far on 2m with 1/4 watt. I was at a hamfest, and a crew came trekking in with foxhunt equipment. They tracked the fox to our table. Someone was fooling with an swr analyzer and had left it on the repeater input frequency. The repeater was about 30 miles away. The analyzers only put out 1/10 watt.

Tom