Best short distance antenna?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CAMERART, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

not all loops require precise tuning..... this is most common with Small Tuned Loops commonly known as "magnetic loops". There are other designs that are more open minded. :D

Covering 4 miles, even with low power is not usually much of a problem. Almost any antenna, as long as it will tune up correctly should do the trick.

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

According to what is on QRZ, Poole Dorset would be his location. On 'flat' land ( not to be confused with 'flat' as in apartment ), 2 meters should also work. No mention of power levels was made. Here in 'the colonies', many portable radios will put out 1-7 watts with a charged battery- mobiles, 35 to 50 watts - stations, 100 watts. Since his signal is heard beyond, we can only guess that 'skip' or frequency separation is the issue. So then what is the SWR into the antenna system from the person who posted this 'thread'??? See posts #6 and #8... Magloop.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Close In Communictions
    80 M is a pretty good short hop Band but you need a lot of space since the dipole is 125 ft long. At 20-60 ft above ground you will get a pretty high angle hop... BEST for short distance work!
    When I was a novice, I ran about 4 Watts out of a single tube homebrew transmitter and worked mostly S. MI, N.OH and S. ON stations in the afternoons after school.
    I was using a dipole I made for 80 M , hanging from tree branches about 15-20 ft high.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rebuttal

Keep in mind the repeaters do all the heavy lifting with high gain antennas on high office building roofs or big tall Commercial towers. :eek:Your 1 Watt hand held radio is nothing special! :rolleyes:

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

40 is possible but 20 M is one of the "DX" bands and rarely does well in local comms.

NQ1B and PU2OZT like this.
  6. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Legal in the UK. Did that when I was practicing code.

Paul G0VKT

7. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi,
    Well, lots of answers and choices.

Things have actually gone off the boil, since this epidemic, and we've kind of lost touch as our radio club is closed. I'm sure once things calm down a bit, we can try some of the suggestions.
    It does seem starnge that we are finding difficulty. I think the hill in between us may contain some metal perhaps, as others in the clb are also in similar situations.

Thanks. C.

8. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm late to the party, but I often participate in a CW practice net on 40M in the evening. When I was using a HamStick dipole, and then a 40M dipole at 8 feet above ground, the locals could hear me at S9+. I "fixed" my antenna situation by installing a ground-mounted vertical. Work a lot more DX, but the locals now hear me only about S 4-5. The low dipole is a good NVIS (Near Vertical Incident Skywave) antenna, and works better than most for short distances.

Maybe try a low dipole, or even a loop on the ground.

My radio club has suspended meetings, too. We do, however, meet weekly on the club's 2M repeater. Whatever it takes. . .

9. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi W,
    Mine's a 40MTr dipole, and his is a loop. There are others with this hill in btween, that have similar problems.
    C

10. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any of the locals have a bulldozer?