Best short distance antenna?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CAMERART, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is silly. The best short range antenna is a short or no antenna.

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a situation I am fully familiar with in all aspects.

On the other hand, I have been easily readable as far as a mile using a light bulb as a dummy load at 27mhz with less than five watts. Using the cheapest china-bait unit I can find, I can easily reach repeaters that I know are over five miles away with less than a watt on 144mhz. So there is clearly something wrong with one or both of your setups.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My range: 460 miles with 10W into a lightbulb dummy load on 40m CW.

K0UO likes this.
  4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Place any antenna above the buildings in-between you. Tree tops are not an issue. Also, your friends loop antenna is directional.

5. CAMERART

CAMERART QRZ Member

Hi,
    It seems to be impossible, because of his antenna not being high enough.

He's going to try in the loft next, but that will take a little time.
    Thanks.
    C

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

At the top of the sunspot cycle 20 feet of antenna height will work just fine for 40M NVIS. But, we are at the bottom of the cycle so that path may not open reliably for years. 80 should work at the proper time of day. 160 is open but requires a proper antenna that may not be practical.

Zak W1VT

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

80 M 0r 160M with a low halfwave dipole would work fine night or day for your DX. (If you have room . Length in Ft. of wire =468/Mhz)

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

40 M at night has long skip and very little "ground" or direct wave for close in QSO. You need a REALLY big magloop for 80 M and make it yourself.
    A high-angle, horiz wire loop would be a square about 33 ft on a side. for 40 M, you need trees or masts, get it up about 20 ft and you have a real good close-in ant for 40 M!
    Even when I lived right in the city I still had treees to hang antenna wires in, forgetting so many do not have that blessing. :(

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you two get together at either your QTH or the other's.
    Make sure you are both on the EXACT Same Frequency and are adjusted to hear and transmit the EXACT same mode.
    This will require your or the other taking your radio along for this visit.
    A small wire on the visitor's rig will suffice for the close proximity testing session(s).
    I seriously doubt there is a problem with either antenna.
    Sounds more like IO troubles.

W1TRY and KB0MNM like this.
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Loop antennas are famous for narrow bandwidth. Translation: They need to be tuned in a very exact fashion, because they typically will only radiate a very narrow range of frequencies well. Metal structures are famous for making 'walls' that prevent radio propagation- see "Faraday cage effect". They also can 'detune' an antenna system, resulting in a high standing wave ratio (SWR), which can be measured with an appropriate meter. 4 Miles should be easy if the frequency is below 2M and the receivers are good.