Best shack in the box

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M7MEE, Nov 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned several Yaesu rigs, including an FT-1ooo. By far, the one that drove me crazy was the FT-857 and the multi function, select till you drop knob. Pretty decent little rig, but a PIA for big hands and old eyes.

The FT-991A looks like a substantial improvement over the FT-991, but I agree with you on the Yaesu menu system. All of my dual band mobile rigs are Yaesu, they seem to work better than Icom or Kenwood mobiles, same goes for handhelds. However, I really like the menu systems on my Icom HF rigs, they are simple, and intuitive.

M7MEE, N3AWS and KM1NDY like this.
  2. M7MEE

M7MEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Think im going down the route ofseperates

K8XG likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh one last thing besides needing the SSB side of VHF/UHF sometimes in the 991, I also use the FM side for the USB port to FLdigi for some VHF digi modes and SSTV the locals use on FM. Makes it easy. Also when I first started with the 991 the C4FM was great for VHF wires-x and digital simplex, and I have had several 10 meter C4FM contacts first when 10 was open alot and when 10 meter contests were on I found folks using C4FM on 29.600 simplex on 10meters

M7MEE and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to know why you are thinking of separates?

M7MEE likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Better specifications overall

M7MEE, KA4DPO, WA9SVD and 1 other person like this.
  6. KB4GNP

KB4GNP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn’t part with my IC 9100 for anything. Bought it new and been using it for 7 or 8 years. I paid a fortune for mine but you can pick em up reasonable on the used market now. I love being able to monitor the local repeaters while working FT8.

M7MEE, KA4DPO and N3AWS like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is (almost) always the case, as well as the fact that if ONE radio stops working, you are still able to use the other...

8. KB5MVN

KB5MVN Ham Member QRZ Page

And I think you say that because it being one of the very few shack in a box radios available at the time.
    To answer the OP who asked about a "best shack in a box", I think if we're talking about what's available brand new today, from what I can see, it comes down to a brand new FT-991a.
    Having said that, I do wish ICOM would introduce something new to fit that niche'.
    I've been looking for a portable shack in a box myself and will probably pull the trigger on a new 991a.

M7MEE likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI a big PLUS is the 991 is one of the last radios that do VHF/UHF SSB and CW not just FM...

KM1NDY and M7MEE like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Multi-mode it be
    Or it's not for me.

M7MEE, KA4DPO and K8XG like this.