Best shack in the box

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M7MEE, Nov 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the FT847, I have 2 of them. But the HF performance was never considered to be good, just OK.

I have not used an Icom 705, but friends really like theirs. with a nice 50w or 100w amp, maybe?

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There might be a few Kenwood TS-2000 rigs still out there. They did pretty well, for a lot of years.

W9RAC, K0UO and N3AWS like this.
  3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

As currently made shack-in-a-box rigs go, your FT991 is probably as good as they get. You could probably get more usefull advice if you said why you want to change rigs. If you fancy something more portable you have had a couple of suggestions of the FT897, but I would add to this the much smaller FT857. Probably neither of these rigs match the performance of the newer 991 but may be a better fit for your needs.

W7EDC, KA4DPO and N2PQW like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than the stinking menus the 991a is great and I have had several. Best audio reports out of the box and I used it a lot on 2m sideband. Digital is plug and play.

KT4PH, K8XG, N2PQW and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You already have the best shack in the box. What don't you like about it?

Perhaps what you really need is an HF radio and a separate VHF/UHF radio so you can scan the VHF/UHF bands on one radio while you tune the HF bands on the other?

I don't use the VHF/UHF side of my 991A unless I need SSB, I use my V71 Kenwood for repeater work while using the 991A for HF>

M7MEE, KA4DPO and N3AWS like this.
  6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The 30 Min edit limit is a real pita. Anyway, here are the antennas used with the 7100.

[​IMG]Click the pic if interested.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    KA4DPO likes this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I second WZ7U on the 706MKIIg!

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-2000.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TS-2000, it's what I would call a Swiss Army radio. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I used to own a Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport, and I had a "Swiss Army Bike" sticker on it.

KA4DPO and N1VAU like this.
  10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In terms of performance, the 991A is probably the best "shack-in-a-box" currently in production - but there is not a lot of competition. I had a TS-2000 and was very fond of it, but it is pretty old technology by today's standards and I don't think I would pay the current asking price for another. The IC-7100 is a bit more up to date, but it is still a middle-aged design and the performance is not particularly exciting (and I do have one, so I can make a first hand comparison with the 991A). I also had an FT-847 and an FT-897 - decent enough radios, but both looking dated now. The 847 was fun, but it is a very old design and I'm told that they are becoming difficult to maintain as components go out of production...

If you are serious about VHF/UHF, then a good HF rig plus transverters is the way to go, but it is definitely not a "shack-in-a-box". I run a 991A as my VHF/UHF rig and HF backup - performance is good for its size and price and I'm not in any rush to change. It is a very non-ergonomic radio and driving it through its front panel would soon have me considering throwing it out of the shack window, but I drive all my radios from the shack PC and the front panel is very rarely touched...

Martin (G8FXC)

KA4DPO likes this.