ad: ProAudio-1

Best portable hf rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1QWI, May 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep......have argued the physics many a time but it is still amazing the folk on this website that don't seem to get that........none as blind as those that don't want to see I reckon.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the 100 watts requirement, the OP stated, that goes to the size, except if a separate amp is portable.

The "manpack" enthusiasts are big on portable amps to operate with the smaller form factor QRP rigs.

3. K8TDN

K8TDN Subscriber QRZ Page

what is the battery ????

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The battery power source is up to you. Depends on what kind of portable operating you are doing.

I constructed a portable power source inside this battery carry box.

It has solar charging capabilities, built-in inverter and I installed some metering on it to monitor the voltage level.

[​IMG]

Portable battery box has carry strap and can be setup very easily.

[​IMG]

Solar panel installed on folding camera tripod.

[​IMG]

Group U1 battery, inverter, AC charger, internal fuses and wiring.

[​IMG]

Typically a group U1 battery works best for most 100 watt rigs in a portable operating scenario.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. K8TDN

K8TDN Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at the one you had in the TS 480 pic

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The pictures of the TS-480 included with my first initial description are stock photos which are intended to depict the TS-480 being operated in the great outdoors.

I have a TS-480 I use for portable operation in the great outdoors with the battery power source I have constructed as shown in the photos I have posted for your review.

Do you have any other questions about using a TS-480 for portable outdoor operation?

Perhaps since I have already answered your question about the battery power source I am using with my TS-480, are you interested in any details of the portable antenna system I am using?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    K8TDN likes this.
  7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Learned a lot from this thread. Here is my dream criteria for a portable rig:

HF Only, 10-160, all mode
    Rugged: something on the order of MIL STD 810G and maybe IP 67
    Internal Battery, Soundcard, Tuner
    Antenna Port on the front face
    25 Watts
    Reasonable efficiency re power consumption

8. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can find a SGC SG2020, it fits several of your criteria. It is old. It is durable (built like a tank!). It is simple to operate. It uses <430 mA on recieve (very efficient!). Power output is adjustable from 1w to 20+ w. You will need an amplifier for more power but 20w puts you in the ballpark for driving larger amplifiers. If you are going to use the radio in the field, some that others have suggested are quite fragile and expensive. The Yaesu ft-817 is a good choice and fairly robust but NOT simple to operate (lots of menus). I hope you find what you're looking for, there are LOTS of choices out there. Enjoy the search!