ad: AbAuRe-1

Best portable hf rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1QWI, May 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

i have a FT8i7 I need to trade up towards a TS-480S. Don't know how much cash I'd hafta part with to make the deal, but sooner or later someone will come along and want a FT-817 and want to get rid of his TS480s/ In the mean time it is awaiing a use. Probalby my most underutilized rig. One reason for holding it is that it is a PERFECT IF radio for Microwave transverters!, no worry about blowing up the transverter!! So it is NOT for sale! ONLY for Trade!

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

What I did not say is cutting the power output in half will double your battery life. What I did say is at 50 watts out you will draw less current from the battery than it would if one runs 100 watts out.
    Example: Yaesu FT897D at 100 watts out, current drain is 15.5 amps. The same radio at only 50 watts out will draw 10.9 amps. This is almost a 5 amp current drain savings. Slice it anyway you want, but less
    current drain means more operating time !
    Barry

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I double posted. Not use to the new QRZ software.
    Barry

4. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

When you are doing potable on a battery even 11 amps is not good. You want about 1/2 that are less peak draw for good battery life unless you want to lug some serious batteries.

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

When I operate portable, I either take along the KX3 or my FT897D. If bands conditions are fair, I run 5 watts from my KX3. If I choose to take the FT897D, I may start out at 5 watts. If the bands
    aren't that good I turn the power up to 50 watts to save time on the battery compared to running 100 watts out. I use a 17 amp hour battery and spend a day in the park.

The bottom line is, operating time is directly related to Amp Hour. Less current drain means more operating time. Operate with a rig designed to use less current drain. In other words, use a rig like a KX3 and only run 1/10 of a watt out.
    My point was, and still is, less power out equates to less current drain and a longer operating time.

I'm sure the person that started this post does not want to run QRPp, I was just making a point.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

With only a 17 amp hr batter if you use 897 much above 5 or 10 watts you will not get a good day if you talk much. With KX3 it would not be a issue as it draws far less power at 10 watts than 897 does at 5 watts.

7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Durham Radio, Ontario, Canada has the 60 40 20 17 15 meter YouKits TJ2B MK2 transceiver sold assembled I have.

It is a HF transceiver in HT configuration.

It is simple to use backpacking mobile.

It is QRP.

If I am above the signal noise floor, I am happy.

I will say, it is best portable HT configuration HF and I am having a lot of fun with it.

No one thinks it is HF, which is fine by me. I ought to put a rubber duck antenna on it, in my backpack, so no one thinks to steal it. I have been thinking of a coil and a telescoping antenna "just for fun".

I use an end fed wire antenna when I set up for transmitting.

8. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My choice for qrp is the ft817nd & Elecraft's t-1 tuner. Lots of fun for the money! You can add an amplifier from Elecraft, Ten Tec, Tokyo hi power etc if you need it. I have owned the Elecraft amp and highly recommend it. Expensive but but worth every penny & the internal tuner is excellent.

9. K1CDX

K1CDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Icom 706 mk2g, 10-160 plus 2 & 6 meter, never used as a mobile but have used as qrp & 100 w, never in a smoke environment, always dust covered, superb condition, paid new $1500.00 will sell for $700.00 with ah4 auto tuner, I have upgraded and don't need two base stations, a wonderful rig, call K1cdx Rich @ 413 592 7175

10. K8BYP

K8BYP Ham Member QRZ Page

The "how long it runs" question is about the battery, not the rig, but... the owners manual specifies 13.8 nominal, minimum of 11.7. They say it may malfunction on less voltage.

Im testing one between about 12.6 and 14.8, it seems to run a bit warmer at higher voltages although I havent vertified that with temperature testing. It would make sense that the internal voltage regulators would make more heat reducing the voltage.

The key there is to never discharge a lead acid battery (if thats whats being used, typical for motor vehicles) below about 10.5 whereat they are permanently damaged (from the engineering dept of a large battery mfg co.- that spec is for the 'golf cart' deep cycle batteries as used in motor homes etc) That does permanent and irreversable chemical damage to the battery.