Best options for a SDR on 1.2 Ghz

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VA7UO, Sep 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello gang
    Having used all makes of receivers for satellite etc. what are a couple of my best options for narrow band such as SSB/CW?
    I want to get more involved with some experiments I have going and need something a little more frequency agile.

Cheers
    Glenn, VA7UO

2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a number of SDRs that will work at those frequencies.

I have used RTL-SDR.com dongles for general listening on FM, I have a PlutoSDR which covers from 70Mhz to 6 Ghz and will also transmit at those frequencies, but my favourite would have to be my SDRPlay RSP2 units.

They are quite frequency accurate and stable out of the box (typically within 3 hz) but by plugging my Leo Bodnar GPS-DO into the RSP2 I get 1 hz frequency accuracy, which may sound like overkill but if you ever want to try some of the digital modes like wspr or the JT modes it's very important to be frequency stable.

All these units are in the $200 range, except for the dongles, which are typically less than $50CAN for the good RTL-SR.com units from the US.

regards, Roy

3. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly what I was looking for,
    Thanks Roy!

Glenn, VA7UO

4. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as an addendum, I highly recommend that any amateur that does not have any SDR experience spend the cheap dollars (hi) to get a couple of SDR dongles. They are very useful to have lying around for when you have a sudden urge to listen to something between DC and 2 Ghz, heh.

My recommendation is the dongles from RTL-SDR.com. They have TXCOs for good frequency stability, bias-T if you want to power something like an external preamp, and also will tune to the HF frequencies which a lot of the the lesser dongles will not do. You can buy them from Amazon-US or direct from the RTL-SDR.com website for those of us elsewhere.

The website also has a continuing wealth of information on not only the dongles but also the other SDR platforms that are available and the software that supports them. I have used most of the popular software that is available for Windows and my favourite is the SDRConsole software which supports a very wide variety of SDR devices.

I'm confident that many amateurs will find some good use for a dongle around the shack.

regards, Roy

K3RLD likes this.