Best no tune amp with ATU?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8EA, Jun 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey folks. After watching a lot of my friends go to NO TUNE amp and tuners I want to go that way too. I've got a great AL-1500 (w/8877 tubes) and manual tune with the MFJ989C but I'm looking at what's out there. I really like the RF KIT RF2K-S but it's not available yet and will only be available in kit form at first (not interested in building). So what about the Expert? And what others are out there that you folks like. Got to be full power and have full power ATU.

W9RAC likes this.
  2. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Know this isn't responsive but curious - what benefit derives from a no-tune amp over your 1500 other than simplicity?

W4NNF likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Expert 1.5K-FA and the Elecraft KPA1500 are the only two that spring to mind. $4995 and $5895 respectively and both have very good reputations.

NL7W likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The bottom line for me? Until you get to the upper price range, at least, tube amps are more reliable than solid state amps. Still.

If you want to simplify your operation and your antenna mismatch is enough that a tube amp's tuning won't handle it, why not look at an auto-tuner and stay with your AL-1500? There are plenty of kilowatt auto-tuners from the Palstar caviar to the MFJ 998 sardines that will make your life a little easier. ;)

A no-tune tuner can be a help, I guess, if you're a heavy contester constantly jumping from band to band and making large frequency changes within a band. But, again, there's a reliability trade-off imho. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    KA4DPO likes this.
  6. W4NNF

A no-tune amp, I meant. :)

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I been running a Acom 1200s for CW work. Its my first solid state amp. Did not take me long to sell my Alpha 8410 and replace it with Elecraft KPA1500 for SSB. I have had it for about one month now. Great USA amp, Ill never go back loafs along at 1500. You will like it. Might be backlogged on production. I got the last one since the assembly line has been closed. Give them a call. 73 Rich
    I should add, Elecraft really knows how to treat customers like gold. Its great to be wanted again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    KA4DPO and W4NNF like this.
  8. W4NNF

Closed because of Covid, Rich? Anyway, happy to hear you got it and it's working well for you! :)

9. W9RAC

Yes the production lines have been closed for a month or better because of Ca. governor order. Phone people working from home but the shipping dept. were still shipping out finished products until they run out. I was lucky otherwise would be awhile I think. At first I was told the order would be end of July or later and they put me on build list but short list for that amp. They had 3 that were finished, I got the last one because someone cancelled. Im very pleased with it Thanks Rod, 73 Rich

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W9RAC

Ed I might mention since you made a comment about it, regarding the auto tune amp and tuner. I run a Palstar HF auto and have for several years. They will ruin you fast. I will vouch for the HF auto, you will not be disappointed. 73 Rich