Best, no, easiest way to drive in a ground rod?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4FFL, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

That's due to fact that Florida is comprised of all sand ;)

NE1U likes this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "At one location I gave the rod a couple of whacks and it disappeared out of sight!"

Someone's "escape tunnel" just got dirt in it from the ceiling ...

KN4DQE, KP4SX and N4FFL like this.
  3. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I just sent the SDS+ 5/8” ground rod driver back and ordered the SDS Max version. Once it comes in I’ll rent a demo hammer from Home Depot to bury the rods. :D

4. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was still in the work force (electrician) I always used a "Hilti TE72" roto hammer for driving in ground rods. I guess that model has been replaced by the TE70. You also need the ground rod bit that attaches to this drill. I am sure "US rentals" has them for rent.

https://www.hilti.com/drilling-&-demolition/combihammers/r1021413

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    N4FFL and WW1WW like this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, driving a ground rod does not require a heavy jack hammer. Especially considering starting an 8' rod while standing on a ladder is a given. Just the constant ... hammering ... by a 15 to 20 pound hammer drill does quite well. That one is 18#

N4FFL likes this.
  6. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a flaw in your diabolical plan..;)

I tried doing what you described with a copper coated steel ground rod. Drove the rod in about 1.5 feet with a t-post driver, then drove over with the 50HP Kubota and FEL. I promptly bent the ground rod into a 90° "L" with the FEL. :(

The tractor FEL method works GREAT for t-posts, I do that all the time. Not so great for "whippy" ground rods. I didn't bother with finding a solution and just went back to the t-post driver.

YMMV.

7. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also tried that method before, and it did the same thing!

8. K6OFG

K6OFG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely the best way to do it.
    Wish I didn't live on top of a rock. Had to lay it along the sewer pipe the builders put in and increase the length by three times. City inspector said okay.
    Good luck.
    Steve

N4FFL likes this.
  9. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. :) I already have the SDS Max bit (for 5/8" ground rods) coming. I found out that my roto hammer drill is only 1.9 ft-lb force. If it even could do it, it would take a long time compared to a 15# - 20# hammer. The one you show in the link even is 8.5 ft-lb of force. So, definitely better and worth the $42 to rent it from Home Depot for 4 hrs. Hopefully it shouldn't even take me that long. Probably longer to go out and get it than to actually do it. LOL (hopefully!) So, as soon as the SDS Max driver bit comes in, I'll get this done. Yay!

AD5HR likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When driving ground rods, rotary motion is wasted. IIRC, the electric demolition (or breaker) hammer I rented was rated 60#. I've seen 'em from 45# to 90#.

N4FFL likes this.