Best, no, easiest way to drive in a ground rod?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4FFL, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The fastest way I know of to drive a fence post into topsoil is to use the bucket of a front-end loader (most small farm tractors these days have them) and press the thing in. My neighbor built a 2000 ft. fence this way. Takes about five seconds per post in good soil conditions. But whoever is operating the bucket has to be very good at it, or the fence post is bent or goes in crooked. This is why I continue to use a driver even though my three year old Deere has a front-end loader. I have, however, used hydraulics to yank t-posts out along old fence lines. Much easier to take them out this way without damaging them than press them in.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Check your local "US Rentals" near you.

N4FFL and WB5WPA like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried that with the bucket of my tractor but it didn’t work well in our soil. I can pull them out with the bucket, but it’s generally faster to use a hand lever type puller unless they are really stuck, in which case I resort to the tractor bucket.

4. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh...I did see this but was thinking that I couldn't do this with the ground rod because it is solid. I guess I didn't stop to think of doing this with the open copper tube and then pulling it back out and sliding the ground rod in. Hmmm....

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it much easier to drive ground rods in the Spring verrsus the Fall. May have something to do with our wet freeze/thaw winters.

N4FFL likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The worms are doing the 'aeration'.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The fastest way is to get off the computer and go outside and actually do it.

LOL :D

N0TZU, WC5P, N4FFL and 2 others like this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles FTW

WE4E and KC8VWM like this.
  9. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I may try that next time I need to sink a ground rod. I always use the bucket to pull them out but never tried putting them in. I have had ground rods stuck so hard that they just lift the tractor. For those I have to dig a little and soak the ground for a long time before I can pull them.

Another good use for a tractor: For installing screw anchors I use the bucket to apply downward force to get it going into the ground. My ground is so hard that without a big downward force a screw anchor will just act like a drill bit and force dirt up out of the hole. I have to use a 5 ft pull bar to turn the screw anchor. I made a jig out of wood which attaches to the bucket to keep the anchor centered. I'll bet that would also work for driving a ground rod..

Jerry, K4SAV
    pull gnd rods.jpg
    Screw anchor.jpg

WB5YUZ, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about others but my hard pan soil is probably the precursor for limestone. Once you get beyond a few feet of top soil, you might as well be working with concrete. The use or soaking of water is futile and makes nothing more than a mess and doesn't make for a good gnd anyways.
    The only way to sink a rod is basically brute Force. I am somewhat doubt full of even those smaller SDS type hammer drills provides fully the solution here. I use a larger Makita demo/breaker type hammer. About two or three sizes up from an actual SDS hammer drill and more akin to a smaller mini jackhammer. This is the only way to go other than an actual pile driver!!!

WZ7U and N4FFL like this.