Best, no, easiest way to drive in a ground rod?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4FFL, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of new homes I have worked on required a "ufer" ground. I heard that the military used to use ground rods in and around their munition bunkers, but lightning strikes nearby sometimes caused some of their bombs to explode. After installing "ufer" grounds in the slabs of their concrete floors that stopped happening.

2. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes they bring the "ufer" up in the walls of a home straight into the elec panel. Most of the time they put a small box under the elec panel, and from there attach another wire up into the panel. I have had inspectors wanting both a "ufer" ground and a ground rod!

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Play your cards right Tom Sawyer, and Ben will pay you that ten spot :)

Rege

KD8DEY likes this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

As AD5HR suggests a T post driver (not all that expensive) has worked for me at our new QTH where the ground is largely volcanic rock. Still not easy but I gave up on the sledge hammer which did not work at all

driver.png

N4FFL and N0TZU like this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ufer", should-ought to be capitalized, after all, it is in honor of/in deference to:
    Herbert G. Ufer who in 1942 was a consultant working for the U.S. Army. Mr. Ufer was given the task of finding a lower cost and more practical alternative to traditional copper rod grounds for these dry locations. Mr. Ufer discovered that concrete had better conductivity than most types of soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground
    https://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/what-ufer-ground

TU Herbert, for your effort.

WD0BCT, N4FFL and AJ6O like this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

All new construction in Yavapai County, AZ for about the last fifteen years employs Ufer grounds

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like you bought the slightly more expensive post driver model. I like those because they are heavier and longer and therefore work better and faster (relatively speaking).

The fastest way to drive a fence post is to use a skid-steer with a hydraulic post driving attachment but that was just a teeny weeny bit over my budget!

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

With the help of Aliens??..

N4FFL likes this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the fencing in this rural area was originally done by the developer (5,10 and 20 acre parcels) using a PTO driven t post driver behind a tractor. However it was not cost effective for me to go that way to add the fencing we wanted for a large dog yard....besides this old guy gets some exercise using the hand held post driver. :)

AD5HR and N0TZU like this.