Best, no, easiest way to drive in a ground rod?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4FFL, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

One thing I found out was that it was a heck of lot easier to install ground rods after it rained for a few hours outside.

So now I just plan this activity to occur according to the local weather forecast after the soil is well saturated after raining for a few hours. This is instead of needlessly beating the arm off my shoulder into drier / harder soil.

I tried using a lawn sprinkler once to simulate the rain, but there's no substitute for an actual downpour from a good storm. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    N4FFL likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...this is how I do it. I time the installation for after a heavy rain.

It will not make a difference if you hit a rock, of course.:D

N4FFL likes this.
  4. VA3VF

Exactly what I use. Money very well spent!

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Being less wealthy than most and also averse to smashing various body parts with the business end of an errant hammer, I also vote for the T post hammer, followed up with a regular sledge the last couple of feet. Let it rain!! :cool:

N4FFL likes this.
  6. N4FFL

I was thinking that might be a good plan. Problem is I’ll end up waiting till that happens and the temp will drop and it will freeze. LOL! That’s just how my luck goes. But, we shall see. Definitely a good idea.

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. N4FFL

By the votes going on here I guess I should have gotten the post driver instead of the rotary hammer ground rod driver attachment. :(

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

A post driver won't drive it all the way into the ground anyways.

N4FFL likes this.
  9. VA3VF

Well...still easier to use a sledge hammer on the last 2 feet, than up on a step ladder driving the whole 8 feet long rod in. I'm not a good malabarist.;)

N4FFL likes this.
  10. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've found it very easy to drive a ground rod, provided it doesn't hit a big rock.

First scoop out a little dirt, enough to fill with a pint of water. Let the water soak into the
    dirt. Start driving the ground rod (I use a small sledgehammer with a short handle).

Continue adding water as you continue driving.

Easy peasy.

WD0BCT and N4FFL like this.